Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Focus has 150k+ miles on it, 2004 by the way. I need to replace that lifetime filter. I'd like to go CAI, but I'm broke at the moment.

I have the box out. I had "thought" I had seen a thread somewhere about using a dremel to crack it open and replace the filter, then how to seal it back up. Can't locate this info now.

Has anyone done this? What filter did you use when replacing? Just want to replace it for 1-2 months, then I'll go CAI. Check engine light came on, filter gauge is red, so my bet is that.

Looks like I could crack it with dremel, put some gasket sealer and screws to get by until I go CAI, but not sure if there's a paper filter that would fit. Help please.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
i wonder if you could find a decent stock unit in a junkyard?
Those weren't decent brand new.

If you decide to do the stealth CAI mod, you need to get some pantyhose, and a big rubber band, or a large metal clamp like one that works on a dryer vent hose. Put 2 panty hose loosely over the air cleaner after you install it. This will prevent water from sticking to the air cleaner. It's a dirt bike trick, and it works. It might not be fancy, but you can't see the darn thing, right?

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Just a thought but dose the later model stock airbox setup '08-11 fit or work on these cars?
I have a stock airbox from my 2010 just kicking around, not the best performance but serviceable with cheap replaceable filters.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@st12131, not sure if that would fit. Maybe someone else could answer that.

I spoke to a parts store (don't remember which one, made a lot of calls), but one of them said their book listed a FRAM Washable Air Filter Part Number WA8969. It "says" it fits 2004 2.3L. I just looked it up on FRAM's website, and that's what it says. Still don't have that "warm and fuzzy" feeling.

It would have to be ordered. Has anyone ever "cracked" open this #^!&@ air box and replaced the filter using one of these? I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time by ordering this.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
@st12131, not sure if that would fit. Maybe someone else could answer that.

I spoke to a parts store (don't remember which one, made a lot of calls), but one of them said their book listed a FRAM Washable Air Filter Part Number WA8969. It "says" it fits 2004 2.3L. I just looked it up on FRAM's website, and that's what it says. Still don't have that "warm and fuzzy" feeling.

It would have to be ordered. Has anyone ever "cracked" open this #^!&@ air box and replaced the filter using one of these? I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time by ordering this.

Thanks
Once you get down there and remove it, you'll see that there's no way to disassemble it. Search for "Stealth CAI" and you should find a thread with directions on how to put a generic 3.5" cone filter on the end of the MAF tube. That, along with my suggestions of putting 2 pantyhose over the filter, is your best bet. I ran that for nearly 5 years myself until I recently got a great deal on a K&N FIPK CAI.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@whynot, I read that thread yesterday, and was leaning to doing what you suggest, but that then led to discussion of hydrolock due to the CAI.

That concerned me. This my only transportation, and I have a 90 mile, one way commute to the office.

As for the Stealth CAI, does this application remove the oblonged shaped hose from the stock set-up? It's on the end that fits into shield under the wheel well.

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't rely on an "autoparts" store clerk. Most of those guys don't know any more than their computer can show them. It would take a lot of moisture to cause hydrolock. I would consider hydrolock a non-issue. I have CAI in the fender on my Mustang, no problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stealth CAI Parts?

OK, so I'm going to go with the Stealth CAI solution that has been suggested.

I'm looking for a required parts list from someone who has done this. Once I start, I'll be without a vehicle, so running to the store to pick something else up would be a problem.

So, what size pipes, diameter and length?
How many 90 degree elbows?
Number of and size of clamps?
Which cone filter?

Think I'll raid the wife's drawer for the pantyhose [wiggle]

Thanks

·
Registered
357 Posts
91lespaul - Homemade SRI

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176309&highlight=homemade+sri

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263115&highlight=homemade+sri

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3755795#post3755795

You should check out these links, especially the first one cause it's the same (I believe) setup you have, or at least more towards your model year. The last two links are for the one I did to my 09, and the last is a member who did his own CAI on an 08.

·
Registered
582 Posts
hey, i have the airbox off my st that has 95k on it. you pay the shipping and you can have it. hows that sound? pm me if youre interested. i am getting sick of looking at it!!!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
OK, so I'm going to go with the Stealth CAI solution that has been suggested.
You'll need:

Jack
Jack stands
10mm socket
7mm socket
ratchet and extension
phillips screwdriver
torx t25 (iirc)

Multi-size (3" to 4") cone air filter, but 3.5" is the right size IIRC.

Most of the tools are what you'll need to jack the vehicle, remove the inner fender cover, remove the snorkel, and finally remove the air cleaner. Your air intake consists of 4 main sections of hard plastic. In this order from the rubber intake hose in front of the TB: silencer box, MAF tube, air filter, snorkel. First remove the snorkel. Then loosen the 2 bolts you can easily reach on the air cleaner. There is a 3rd, but you'd have to remove the splash shield to reach it, and you can just pull it straight back once the air cleaner is free. Now disconnect and remove the stuff at the top- You have to remove the silencer box because the MAF tube is held down by a bolt under the silencer box. To unplug the MAF itself- slide back the red clip, then press on the center of the grey clip, and pull away. I can't remember if the MAF tube just sits on the air cleaner or not. Remove the MAF tube, and then remove the old air cleaner. Now take the MAF tube, and size your multi-size air filter to it, loosely fit 2 panty hose over the filter. I wrapped the panty hose back into where the clamp would hold it. You don't want to pull these tight or some water could get through.

I drove in a 100 year flash flood rain without hydro-locking. It was so bad that the fastest I could go on the interstate was 20 mph. When I finally stopped, a truck stop at the bottom of the hill was flooded. As long as you don't submerge the car, you'll be fine. I did drive slower in the rain though. I believe that the panty hose trick was what saved me many times. It's best if you use polyester panty hose, but nylons might work. I'm disappointed with K&N's filter charger that is supposed to be a high tech panty hose. I'll be using it to simply hold the panty hose on there. If you can find a foam filter those would really be good because the shape of the foam would help keep water from pooling in the ridges like in a cotton gauze filter.

I swear I never had a problem in 5 years and many harrowing rains. Don't submerge the car, and if you do- cut it off. Give it a chance- a car that sucks in any water won't be easy to start, so if you do suck some in- pull the plugs before cranking the motor, and give it some time to dry out. Don't crank it with the plugs in there until you've given it time to dry out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@whynot,

Thanks. I had the air box out last weekend, so familiar with that process. You hit on what I was asking as far as parts, and alleviated my concerns with the hydrolocking.

I have noticed from some pics that some people are running the CAI so that the filter is up in the wheel well where the original box was. Others are running short with filter up top. Is this what's being referred to as "short RAM"?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I have noticed from some pics that some people are running the CAI so that the filter is up in the wheel well where the original box was. Others are running short with filter up top. Is this what's being referred to as "short RAM"?
CAIs made by someone, like K&N, usually terminate where the factory filter was.

SRIs made by Steeda typically terminate where the silencer box is. These tend to have problems during hot weather.

I made a cheap SRI with an old MAF tube that I have laying around. If you can find or purchase an old MAF tube, you can make one by whittling out the MAF slot so that you can turn it around backwards. Then turn the tube around backwards and it will fit on the end of the factory rubber connector that comes off the TB.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts