Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am creating this thread for my "backyard" cylinder head rebuild. I have a few open already so trying to centralize. I do have a FSM but some real life questions are coming up. I might keep my lash questions in the old thread for historical purposes or might link to it here.

Here are some current questions:

1) When mating the head to the block do I need anything additional to line the head up besides the dowels that are installed in the block?

2) Are the cam seals reusable or do I need to purchase new ones? If so, are only the Ford seals acceptable? I like good choices when possible.

3) I pulled the VCT out during installation. Is there any wrong way to reinstall it? Does the O-ring (s) need to be reinstalled?

4) After cleaning up the cams, cam cap insides, journals buckets, I coated everything (as far as I have gotten) with a reasonable amount of Rotella T-6 5w-40. Should I be using assembly lube instead or is RT6 fine?

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anyone help?

I am going to go with assembly lube given the slowness in my build. However, I still have the above questions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
1) The factory dowels would be all you need to line the heads

2) Always a good idea to use fresh seals and gaskets.

3) Line up the VCT bolt hole with the hole in the block. Assembly lube is a given, and yes on the o-ring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts