Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Automotive News reports Ford is actively considering CVTs for use in low-torque engines like used in the Focus and Fiesta. Ford had unfavorable experience with CVTs before, but improved fuel economy and proliferation of CVTs in the North American market has lead Ford to reconsider. (One could speculate consumer complaints have contributed, too.)

So, it seems very possible the DCT (even in wet-clutch form) may be dead with the next Focus/Fiesta redesign. May be good news for future buyers but no-so-good news for those of us left with and orphaned technology. Guess we'll see.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
One word.... YUCK!

If I wanted a Nissan... i'd buy a Nissan...

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Automotive News reports Ford is actively considering CVTs for use in low-torque engines like used in the Focus and Fiesta. Ford had unfavorable experience with CVTs before, but improved fuel economy and proliferation of CVTs in the North American market has lead Ford to reconsider. (One could speculate consumer complaints have contributed, too.)

So, it seems very possible the DCT (even in wet-clutch form) may be dead with the next Focus/Fiesta redesign. May be good news for future buyers but no-so-good news for those of us left with and orphaned technology. Guess we'll see.
That would be a bad idea and a massive fail imo especially given how ill received the CVT was in the Five Hundred/ Freestyle / Montego was.

People don't want a shiftless experience with the car droning on.

I didn't find much issue with the CVT in the Freestyle, but when I drove a Nissan Versa with their xtronic CVT it was terrible and not well suited for even a compact or sub compact car.

·
Registered
845 Posts
May be good news for future buyers but no-so-good news for those of us left with and orphaned technology. Guess we'll see.
No, this is not good news for anyone. As much as people love to bitch and moan about the DCT, it's due in large part to them just not being used to it IMO. Dual-Clutches are almost certainly the future for auto trannies. CVT's are just boring and usually not on cars that are worth buying at all.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
The Honda approach is neat. A dct but with a small torque converter to smooth the launch.

Also the Mazda automatic which is a regular slush box but the torque converter has really aggressive lock up to improve efficiency

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would be thoroughly disappointed if Ford went with anything other than a wet-clutch DCT.

My wife has a CX-5 with the automatic and while it is aggressive and smooth, you can feel it sapping the power. It's great now but not the future.

To me, the CVT only has purpose in Hybrids and even then it's crap.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
I get the distinct impression Ford & Getrag are grossly underplaying their own mistakes in the poor reception the dry DCT has gotten. Publically they seem to be saying that the American public just doesn't like the DCT period. They apparently fail to grasp that what the American public doesn't like is underdeveloped dry DCTs.

The 2014's with the latest hardware and firmware have been much more warmly received by the public (see the many comments on this forum) and the press (the latest hatchback comparo - C&D or MT - still panned the DCT but the complaints were definitely more nitpicky than before).

Let's see how the MK3.5 does with the latest and greates DCT hardware and firmware and maybe they'll reconsider its future use.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I get the distinct impression Ford & Getrag are grossly underplaying their own mistakes in the poor reception the dry DCT has gotten. Publically they seem to be saying that the American public just doesn't like the DCT period. They apparently fail to grasp that what the American public doesn't like is underdeveloped dry DCTs.

The 2014's with the latest hardware and firmware have been much more warmly received by the public (see the many comments on this forum) and the press (the latest hatchback comparo - C&D or MT - still panned the DCT but the complaints were definitely more nitpicky than before).

Let's see how the MK3.5 does with the latest and greates DCT hardware and firmware and maybe they'll reconsider its future use.
Personally, I largely blame the consumer if they have problems. If you're spending around $20k (Conservatively) on ANYTHING, let alone a car that quite literally holds your life in its hands, you should be doing hours of research. You should know every single thing about that car that's available.

I did, and I've also had a dual-clutch car before (VW GTI w/ DSG). I've had nearly no problems with my DCT, and the ones I've had we're quickly resolved by going to an honest dealer.

I'll also step out on a limb and say the DCT > DSG IMO. I had tons of problems with the DSG (A wet dual-clutch). None of which related to the $400 transmission fluid changes that had to be done every 30k or 40k miles (Cant remember which one). The biggest problem was the transmission they were using had a part that they knew was bad and would fail eventually. When that did fail, you often had to wait MONTHS to get said part in and replaced. I knew someone without his car for 4 months. I was smart, however, and went to a new dealer (After fighting with my original one), and had them replace it very early on into problems I was having, instead of waiting until it completely failed.

Point is, the DCT isn't perfect by a long shot. However, many "problems" aren't actually problems IMO and people should be careful what they wish for, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. People are tricked into thinking they have a big problem because they're not used to a dual-clutch tranny, one that admittedly isn't the best dual-clutch, but also isn't the worst. I've had dual-clutch problems, nothing I've experienced in my Focus even comes CLOSE to any problem I had with the DSG. But also, the DCT is MUCH better than the CVT...even with the problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nissan cvt owns this transmission, no comparison! Both my old maxima and wifes rogue have them.
I would have to respectfully disagree on this especially as far as the Rogue was concerned. Having owned a Rogue with the CVT is one of the reason I didn't even look at buying another Nissan. The car stayed pegged at 4K RPM just to go up a hill. I will take the DCT over CVT any day of the week.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Personally, I largely blame the consumer if they have problems.
Can't agree with you there. Shuddering, sudden losses of power, and oil leaks are not the fault of the consumer. I think these are the issues that have spread by word of mouth, slowed Focus sales and undeservedly hurt the future of the dry DCT.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nissan CVT's stink. Search for pathfinder vids on youtube. We have one in my household in a versa and its just boring and sorta tempermental. Nothing good or fun about driving that car.

Sure the DCT is weird sometimes but so far so good in mine. Of course I only have 3k miles on it. It has gotten better over time though. I had a 6 speed normal transmission in my Xterra and while it worked fine(except in sub 15F temps where is was a clunky mess until it warmed up) it was boring too. DCT can be a blast when its working right.

The only issues I have had with mine have been in heavy traffic where it was clunky and slow sometimes and backing up hill in my driveway when I get a bit if clutch weirdness and shudder but that probably due to having to mess with throttle constantly to keep the speed I want without slamming into the other car thats there. I'd probably see the same issue with a regular clutch too. My driveway is difficult to back into being uphill and narrow. I have to back in or else my front end scrapes the end of the driveway when backing out.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I drove one of the original Muranos. It was almost exactly like driving a boat. RPMs go straight to X RPMs and stay there. I couldn't escape the sensation that I was driving a regular car with a failing transmission.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Can't agree with you there. Shuddering, sudden losses of power, and oil leaks are not the fault of the consumer. I think these are the issues that have spread by word of mouth, slowed Focus sales and undeservedly hurt the future of the dry DCT.
Are "problems" with any dual-clutch transmissions well documented? Yes.
Is the focus well documented as having a DCT? Yes.
Is dual-clutch transmission a newer non-perfected technology? Yes.
The only question that remains is, are you willing to go with a car employing a rather new technology that may sacrifice reliability? If yes, buy that car. If no, don't buy that car. It's honestly as simple as that.

I had this discussion with my friend who bought a focus and "can't stand the jerky transmission". She did no research, barely a test drive (literally around the block), and barely looked at any other cars. She spend over $23,000 on a car, and did more research and stuff when she bought shoes. IMO that's her fault.

Dual-clutches never claim to be smooth shifting ride. It doesnt go, as one article i read, vroooom (pause) vroooom (pause) vroooom, etc. Which is what Americans have been used to since they were babies riding with their moms and dads.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Are "problems" with any dual-clutch transmissions well documented? Yes.
Is the focus well documented as having a DCT? Yes.
Is dual-clutch transmission a newer non-perfected technology? Yes.
The only question that remains is, are you willing to go with a car employing a rather new technology that may sacrifice reliability? If yes, buy that car. If no, don't buy that car. It's honestly as simple as that.
I think you're missing my point. I'm saying that shuddering and sudden losses of power are not normal for ANY DCT. They appear to have been symptoms in many DCTs in 2012 and 2013 MY Focuses because of underdeveloped software and bad seals.

Now that the problems causing those symptoms seem to have been fixed (based primarily on this forum), seems to me the dry DCT is finally acceptable to most. Trouble is the reputational damage has already been done and many may never give DCTs a chance (or another chance).

·
Registered
845 Posts
I think you're missing my point. I'm saying that shuddering and sudden losses of power are not normal for ANY DCT. They appear to have been symptoms in many DCTs in 2012 and 2013 MY Focuses because of underdeveloped software and bad seals.

Now that the problems causing those symptoms seem to have been fixed (based primarily on this forum), seems to me the dry DCT is finally acceptable to most. Trouble is the reputational damage has already been done and many may never give DCTs a chance (or another chance).
I'd say a little shuddering is normal. Loss of power? No. And yes, the major problems do seemed to be fixed.

I was mainly commenting on the reputation dual-clutches have and why the "problems" seem to be wide-spread. In large part, it's because of people not doing enough research when buying a car, or even after.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm surprised that everybody else is zinging Nissan..and nobody has really talked much about Honda's CVT tranny at all - which is considered by critics the best CVT in the market.

Somebody even said that Honda's CVT - is basically the CVT done right.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
CVT's have advantages, I haven't been following them closely enough to see how the latest are dealing with the disadvantages (earlier ones required regular belt changes, haven't seen the maint. requirements on the latest).

They are definitely "different", and setting them up to shift in stages to mimic a regular trans. removes some of the advantages - and probably hurts longevity/smooth shifting on them as well.

The "drone" is the point of using one, the whole advantage is being able to keep an engine at the output level (rpm) needed instead of having that constantly changing. Change throttle input & the RPM will change appropriately.

Cheap way to do an automated trans. was their prime advantage for years in relatively low powered applications other than cars.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts