Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i wrecked the car last wensday and have gotten every thing else ready to go back together but i had to replace the drivers side cv shaft because i messed up the threading on the shaft that the nut goes on to. i ordered a new one yesterday not knowing if it was right on not. get it picked up this morning and look at it alll looks good. get home take the old one out and realized i have the wrong one. call ford back give him my vin number this time instead of just saying its an svt and he tells me 227 for a new one. holy crap. my question is can i just swap the parts that go in to the trany? from the old one to the new one? nothing is wrong with it on the old one only the out side part of the shaft is bad the threads are so i can not thread the nut back on. will this work?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I think I'm a bit confused, which parts are you wanting to swap? I'm going put this in technical chat.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
If you're asking if you can use any of the axle parts from the standard zetec on the SVTF and Getrag...
No.
At least, I highly doubt it.
The axle shafts are larger on the SVTF, and I'm sure the splines are different as well.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
you lost me... If ur saying u rather not pull the right halfshaft out to get the left one out then Yes u can swap the parts I have 4 of each half shaft from carquest i go through them like hot cakes.... only 65 bucks a piece. the left side one i always leave the old piece in the tranny. i have changed it once b4 with a 5/16 rebar peace to knock it out. if thats ur questions sir have fun its simple i swap my half shafts in about 15 minutes it has become a science.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're asking if you can use any of the axle parts from the standard zetec on the SVTF and Getrag...
No.
At least, I highly doubt it.
The axle shafts are larger on the SVTF, and I'm sure the splines are different as well.
the axle shaft that goes in to the tranny is actually smaller on the svt shaft but has about twice as many splines on it. but the out side that slides into the spindle/hub is the exact same. i was wondering if i could basicly switch the part that slides in to the trany off of my old cv shaft on to a new cv shaft for a regualr mtx75 tranny since that peice is perfectly fine. i'm just not sure if the u joints in side the boots are the same size or not. sorry i wasn't very clear in my original post. and thank you for moving and re-titleing the thread, i wasn't sure were to put it and what to call it so i did my best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts