also do I need to bleed the entire system
even if I only did the fronts?

this is becoming a major pita

thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can anyone help me here, i have to work tomorrow and need to finish this tonight

·
Registered
93 Posts
a little peneterating oil and some light, LIGHT tapping with a hammer should loosen it up. if the end of the shaft has an indent in the end of it from the machining process, you can use a centerpunch in it get it loose with less of a chance of 'mushrooming' the end of the shaft.

i have never really had a problem getting a cv shaft out of a knuckle, even on 25 year old cars. is it on a bind somehow?

and yes, if you have let any air in to any part of the brake system, you should bleed the whole system. starting with the passenger rear, then driver's rear, then passenger front, then driver's front.

the best advice i can give anyone about modifying a car is if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it on a work night. working on a car is rarely a smooth and easy ordeal, so if it can wait till you don't have to be at work the following morning, wait.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we're heading back to autozone to get a 3 point puller to yank the hub
tried the blaster stuff on it,
it's on there good, followed the ford instructions
but oh well
gonna finish this tonight
no options

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well that didn't work either
anyone else have trouble with
getting the half shaft out of the knuckle?
as of now my car is across town
and I stipped a tie rod at some point
so I'm just effed i guess
I'm still suprised no one has any advice
I'm having a guy look at it tomorrow,
oh well, more $$$$ and this is just for the front
I don't even know if I want to attempt the back anymore

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Pop the axle out of the differential first, support it with a jackstand (to prevent the joint from going past 15 degrees) and then get a large piece of lumber...last time I had to pull an axle I used a big piece of 4x4 and smacked the axle with it until it popped out. Since the wood is much softer than the steel the axle is made from the wood will get damaged before the axle. You could try the same thing with a smaller piece and a sledge hammer. I got burned using a hammer and a centerpunch when I accidentally mushroomed the end of my passenger-side axle, and then stripped out the retention bolt which eventually resulted in a shot bearing.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why would I need to take the axle out of the diff
just to get it out of the knuckle?
I need to separate the knuckle from the axle

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
use a block of wood and a hammer. I mushroomed my svt drivers side axle when I went to install my diff...ended up costing me an extra $200 for a new axle cuz the nut cross threaded

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we tried wood and a hammer, the spline is stuck in the knuckle
I already stripped the tie rod
i dunno if I'm gonna try the knuckle again or not
I might just put the new tie rod in and
bleed the brakes and say screw doing these brakes
axles are 200$ a piece?
damn, even the the puller couldn't separate the hub,
oh well, looks like I'll just be settling with my stock stuff

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the puller should do it without a problem. svt axles are about $200 wholesale. spray it with PB Blaster, and let it soak in overnight. spray it every few hours before you go to bed, and attack it in the morning. it ought to come right apart then, especially with a puller. I hope the puller that you're using is one that uses the lug nuts to hold the puller to the hub and uses a forcing screw to push the axle through...

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Kyllgore said:
why would I need to take the axle out of the diff
just to get it out of the knuckle?
I need to separate the knuckle from the axle
Simply put, you have to move the axle back through the hub to remove it. If its still attached at the differential, you're not going to have enough space to move it. Also, you could potentially damage the differential if you pound on the axle to get it out of the hub.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just push it through the hub, I have just recently done this. I replaced my steering knuckle, and had to push the outer cv shaft through the knuckle.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
see the ford instructions don't mention taking the axles off
their' instructions say it should just come out by rotating the knuckle
oh well, I've found a mechanic who works on my boss's z06 killing rx7
and he said he's a great installer, so I'm gonna take the kit to him
I gave it a shot though, oh well....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts