Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Good thing an axle fails only because the axle is bad ...

There are thousands of cars out there running aftermarket axles, myself included, many of which have power adders; and have no problems.
So the fact that a stock car is having problems points to the problem possibly being somewhere else. Installation error (improper TQ), bearing, bushing slop ...
It it generally not a replacement parts fault for repetitive failure (within reason).

I'm on Master Pro axles and haven't had any issues yet. Something like 40,000 miles on them.

And depending on how the boot failed,
if the clamp slipped, this could be too much grease, too much heat or too much strain on the joint --> there is supposed to be a steering stop on the caliper brackets. Over time it's not unheard of for these to break off, that allows more steering angle and more stress on the joint.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
I think this might be the reason my carquest axle boot failed. Im really pissed cause the work and money involved. You need atleast one quart of tranny fluid ($25 mtf here) to do the job. Its under warranty but im not installing another POS part on my car or paying for another quart of oil. This is a serious safety issue too all so they can save a buck by usin some sweatshop in China. Has anyone used an aftermarket axle thats worked? I need one and donr wanna spend much and no my ******* threw the stock one away.
Want a quality part, but want it cheap, ok we all do,,,,,,,

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good thing an axle fails only because the axle is bad ...

There are thousands of cars out there running aftermarket axles, myself included, many of which have power adders; and have no problems.
So the fact that a stock car is having problems points to the problem possibly being somewhere else. Installation error (improper TQ), bearing, bushing slop ...
It it generally not a replacement parts fault for repetitive failure (within reason).

I'm on Master Pro axles and haven't had any issues yet. Something like 40,000 miles on them.

And depending on how the boot failed,
if the clamp slipped, this could be too much grease, too much heat or too much strain on the joint --> there is supposed to be a steering stop on the caliper brackets. Over time it's not unheard of for these to break off, that allows more steering angle and more stress on the joint.
Thanks for the info, had no idea about steering stops i will check that out, but i think the stock woulda failed that way, instead of being slayed by my broken spring.
Im thinkin too much grease or axle too short.
Ill try cardone or master pro, i guess. And hopefully i wont be pullin anymore axles.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,207 Posts
Thanks for the info, had no idea about steering stops i will check that out, but i think the stock woulda failed that way, instead of being slayed by my broken spring.
Im thinkin too much grease or axle too short.
Ill try cardone or master pro, i guess. And hopefully i wont be pullin anymore axles.
I think the masterpro is a Cardone in the box, but I have yet to confirm this. Unless someone knows? I need an axle myself, actually the axle is fine I just need the bearing.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
I think the masterpro is a Cardone in the box, but I have yet to confirm this. Unless someone knows? I need an axle myself, actually the axle is fine I just need the bearing.
The masterpro is a reman. Precision is a new one. Make sure to let the parts guy, whether a stick or atx. I'd call and see if they have them in stock, that way you can pull yours out & match it up.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,207 Posts
The masterpro is a reman. Precision is a new one. Make sure to let the parts guy, whether a stick or atx. I'd call and see if they have them in stock, that way you can pull yours out & match it up.
Is it a Cardone reman though? Not that it matters, just curious. I had a few part time jobs a parts stores and I usually know what is in what box. I had to slap stickers on stuff to make them house brand, so I know how it goes.

Mine's a SVT, I already know want to order it before I pull the axle and I'll be counting splines before I leave.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Is it a Cardone reman though? Not that it matters, just curious. I had a few part time jobs a parts stores and I usually know what is in what box. I had to slap stickers on stuff to make them house brand, so I know how it goes.

Mine's a SVT, I already know want to order it before I pull the axle and I'll be counting splines before I leave.
It says mmpxxxx on the box. No stickers on the axle or parts themselfs. If I was needing a axle, I'd check what a motorcraft is vs a Precision brand costs. I'd want a new one vs a reman.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts