Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My 17yr old son owns a Ford Focus SE. I believe it is an 06. I cannot remember off the top of my head. Anyways his gf was driving and hit a pot hole. It broke the ball joint and also broke the CV axle. The sleeve where the axle slides in is damaged. Is this something I can fix, or is it like a new tranny type fix? I do not know much about these types of cars so I did a google search and came across this site. I'm hoping someone can help me out. I do not really want to jump it as my boy really likes the car. Let me know what you guys think.

Thank you,
Rocky

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Axle is easy to replace. You need a new one.
I know I can replace it pretty easy, but you do not think the socket it slide into there is damaged? When she hit the pot hole she hit a truck. The bumper cover, headlight, control arm, ball joint, and cv axle are all going to need replaced. Luckily I looked at Rock Auto and the parts are really cheap. I was surprised. Like 40$ for a bumper cover, 30$ for a fender, 40$ for a CV axle etc. I was going to sign the title over to the salvage yard. Glad I did not do that as everything is cheap to fix on these.

·
Registered
2006 ZX5 2.0, 2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
1,491 Posts
Is this the drivers side or the passenger side? The picture shows the outer joint separated. The axle slides into the transaxle with a splined shaft. Drivers side is not bolted in . Passenger side has a carrier bearing that must be unbolted.
20200510_112219.jpg

·
Registered
2004 SVT Focus
29 Posts
You also need to look at the strut and tie rod assembly. If the impact was that severe it probably got at least the strut. Possibility it might have shifted the subframe but only an alignment rack will tell the tale

Reactions: grimreaper1014

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I know I can replace it pretty easy, but you do not think the socket it slide into there is damaged? When she hit the pot hole she hit a truck. The bumper cover, headlight, control arm, ball joint, and cv axle are all going to need replaced. Luckily I looked at Rock Auto and the parts are really cheap. I was surprised. Like 40$ for a bumper cover, 30$ for a fender, 40$ for a CV axle etc. I was going to sign the title over to the salvage yard. Glad I did not do that as everything is cheap to fix on these.
The [socket] part (aka stub shaft) you can see in the first pic is part of the CV axle and will need to be removed from the trans before you can install the new axle which will have that part attached to it. You may have difficulty getting the stub shaft out of the trans as it is retained with a snap ring on its inner end. There are lots of methods used to remove it including pry bars and slide hammer rigs but the method I think works the best involves partially removing the passenger side axle and driving the drivers side stub out using a long screwdriver/drift from the passenger side. The only down side is you need to partially remove the passenger side axle.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You also need to look at the strut and tie rod assembly. If the impact was that severe it probably got at least the strut. Possibility it might have shifted the subframe but only an alignment rack will tell the tale
Wish there was a way I could tell before I put all this work into it. Would suck to out all kinds of money into it and it have a bent frame. I guess I could try contacting the city and see if I can get them to pay for it.

Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it greatly. At this point I am just happy they are both alright. Cars can be fixed or replaced. I guess if the frame is bent maybe we can part it out and sell the parts on eBay to get some money towards something else. Thanks again guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts