Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Focus Fam,

New member, long time lurker. My wife and I have a 2007 that she let me fully gut the interior, she is the best wife. All it has is front seats and dashboard. We fell in love with it because the steel matches the exterior and the smelly carpet is gone.

Having the whole car fully exposed, we noticed several connectors with length of wire zip tied to the factory harness. The car came fully optioned so I am not sure what they are for. One connector in the trunk is not in use, two underneath the back seat, and one in between the driver and passenger by the ABS module.

How can I cut those down to the harness without causing any problems? Would the trick be soldering and heat shrinking the wire individually so it doesnt touch the other? I dont see us adding anything to the car to need these connectors in the future.

These cars are secret race cars

Paul

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Having the whole car fully exposed, we noticed several connectors with length of wire zip tied to the factory harness. The car came fully optioned so I am not sure what they are for. One connector in the trunk is not in use, two underneath the back seat, and one in between the driver and passenger by the ABS module.
Post pics of connectors

ABS module is in the engine compartment. The SRS (airbag) module is behind the shifter.

Paul

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
'I dont see us adding anything to the car to need these connectors in the future.'

Really really famous last words.

Once you have gutted that far there is no secret about it any longer. Secret is removing all underneath weight and reinstalling the panels back over the bare metal to hide it and to keep you from cutting yourself to ribbons with all the exposed knife edges there.

Don't have any idea if the computer is sensitive enough like one at home to recognize wire in place to disable things if it is gone even if attached to nothing, you are the test piggy there it seems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Super down to try it. Im gonna try to figure out attaching pictures. There are very little to NO sharp edges on the steel believe it or not. All these little ford stamped logos. So cool. We immediately fell in love with gutting it once we did it. I dont even believe in door panels anymore, they get scratched instantly and look like crap. Carpet smells. Gonna take pictures in a few

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,110 Posts

^^1st pic/connector - to subwoofer amplifier

^^2nd pic/connector(s) - to rear wheel speed sensor(s) (ABS)

3rd pic - need better pic of connector and/or tell me how many contacts and wire colors

Does vehicle have side impact airbags (in front seats)?
Does vehicle have heated seats and heated side view mirrors?

Paul

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
OP is in a dreamworld about the sharp edges, get in any kind of stress situation and those edges 'that are not sharp' will become razor blades to cut limbs off. I've seen the spot weld slag alone open a main artery up before. Some of us have done that work before.

Yours and do with it as you will. Here in Texas they may well refuse safety inspection over it as the law allows them to pre-imagine safety issues to pass or not pass. The 'I don't have to pass it because I feel it's not safe' rule.

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
One other unexpected issue may crop up..............severe condensation on windows because the metal being bare comes to outside temperature much faster and keeps car constantly cold inside even with heater at full blast. In a rain and cold combined event you may have to wipe windshield every 30-60 seconds or cannot see to drive. The inner door panels and other packings are insulators that stop that from happening about 90%. The higher the % of bare metal exposed the worse the condensation issue can get. You can pretty much forget a/c efficiency as well.

BTDT.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^1st pic/connector - to subwoofer amplifier
^^2nd pic/connector(s) - to rear wheel speed sensor(s) (ABS)
3rd pic - need better pic of connector and/or tell me how many contacts and wire colors
Does vehicle have side impact airbags (in front seats)?
Does vehicle have heated seats and heated side view mirrors?

Paul
It does have heated seats and heated side mirrors but they all work as intended so idk. How does the abs function without the back wheel speed sensors plugged in? Vehicle does not have side air bags.

One other unexpected issue may crop up..............severe condensation on windows because the metal being bare comes to outside temperature much faster and keeps car constantly cold inside even with heater at full blast. In a rain and cold combined event you may have to wipe windshield every 30-60 seconds or cannot see to drive. The inner door panels and other packings are insulators that stop that from happening about 90%. The higher the % of bare metal exposed the worse the condensation issue can get. You can pretty much forget a/c efficiency as well.

BTDT.
Great points, havent had any condensation issues yet. Do you think replacing all the door seals would help? Im likely moving out of emissions testing zone but very interesting about texas. Will look into the rules here.

Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Door seals are not the problem, missing insulation to expose max bare metal is the problem. Look in your unheated garage at what happens to metal parts left in it, they tend to rust more as the metal both heats up and cools off faster to condense water on metal before it will anything else. As a stripped car moves through the air it will seem the heater does not work as well as it did before, the missing insulation lets movement in cold air pull heat off the car interior faster.

I used to drive gutted street race cars around a lot to see it first hand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts