Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just test drove an SVT that is for sale, and the guy had the springs cut about 2 years ago. I'd say that it is dropped by about 1.5 inches. When he told me that on the phone before I saw the car, I was like "wtf was he thinking, messing the svt suspension like that". I was expecting the car to be bouncing all over the road and the ride to be very rough. However, I test drove it and I almost couldn't tell the difference with a stock SVT, at least from what I remembered of my last ride. The ride was far better than my ZX3 with the Eibach Pro-kit. I didn't really test the handling though. He told me that his friend who works for Ford did it for him, but didn't know how he did it... I just hope he didn't cut them with a torch...

All that being said, do you think that the stock SVT dampers will hold on? The car has 84 000 km and the dampers are still factory. Would you be safe riding on cut springs for a while (I'd probably replace them as soon as I can)? The car is all stock besides that and it seems to be a really good deal.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
We have a member on here (b16sir1991) using Tein springs that lower the car about that much on stock SVT dampers, last time I asked he had something like 24,000 miles on the setup and no problems. General wisdom you will hear is to NEVER missmatch the springs and dampers like that (cutting springs is worse in important ways, but you sound like you know that), but the SVT dampers are Tokico units and, honestly, I dont think many people have a good handle on what exactly they are valved for, and how sturdy they are. My impression is they are slightly overdamped for the OEM springs (but not to the point of being a problem). The problem, I suppose, would be the shock caused by the piston bottoming inside the damper chamber. I'm kind of shakey on suspension failure, I'd think that'd cause a fluid leak, which should, I'd think, lead to a speedy demise of the damper.

I think what I'm trying to say is if the dampers arent already leaking they might be fine for a while yet. If you're going to the trouble of getting new OEM springs tho, the SVT suspension kit is, what, like $250? For new everything. Food for thought.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
*Bump* so somebody smarter than me will read this; if I'm way off base I dont want it on my conscience.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My 05 ZX3 is riding now on the SVT dampers and eibach pro springs. The ride is great except for the frotn passanger damper that I think is going out, it enjoys bottoming out over every bump.

Other then that one though I have to say the ride is great and performs awsome, been with this set up for about 10,000 miles highway/traffic/spirited driving. But like SVT Robzor said stock svt springs are not hard to come by for a good price.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I bet that the bumpstops have been beat to hell and back by now. Hard turns and compressions (potholes) are going to make you rub bad, seriously shorten the damper life, and compormise handling over rough surfaces. The SVT already has a good ride with rgreat handling, and you'll be glad that you have some actual suspension travel when you hit a pothole or expansion joint while taking a curve at speed.

·
Registered
378 Posts
IMO

Cut springs = fubared shocks/struts in the long run. I don't care if his "friend" worked at ford that did the hack job. I got a friend that works for Ford does that mean I will let him fix my car. Hell no he works in the office.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
yeah just because some one works at ford doesn't mean they know what thier doing :p

he probably hacksawed them though. i imagine you could probably look and see.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The SVT suspension kit is a good inexpensive way to go, not to mention safer. Especially in the long run. Bite the bullet, get the SVT kit.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I'd make the guy buy a new SVT suspension kit and bump stops/strut towe bearings or knock $350 off of his asking price before selling...

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is what someone wrote on another website about cutting springs.

It is science really.

You CAN cut a spring if you want. However it is not recomended because a spring (well, most stock springs) are set to a certian resistance (in pounds) across the length of the spring. Cutting off one coil will change the travel allowance in a relationship with the distnce of allowed suspensiona travel (not the resisance) and you will have issues with bottoming out your dampeners and knocking your bump stops.

For ease let us say that the Focus has 100 pound springs (it doesn't). It has been calculated that that resistance over the compression distance allowed by stock springs will not over exert the suspension (dampeners). So lets say that at maximum we can add 300 pounds of pressure to a spring while turing in a corner. Thus the spring theretically compresses 3 inches (not really what happens but isjust an example). At stock height the engineers figured on this dynamic and allowed 3.5 inches of travel in the suspension and valved the dampeners to compensate. No Problems.

Now, Slippy Cornersmasher decides that he wishes to just cut the spring. Being told by an internet "friend" that he should be sure to cut exactly one or two FULL coils off. (cutting uneven coils would bind the struts since it will not assamble properly). Slippy promptly invites his pal Billy Blowtorch over to cut off two coils to give that "Bitchin" low-rider look. In doing so they have reduced the travel of the suspencion by 1 to 1.5 inches giving at MAXIMUM 2.5 inches of travel on our theretical Focus model. However the resistance of the spring remains the same (we are dealing with linear spring here, a progressive rate spring would of course change our example but effect would be simular). Thus Slippy takes his new lower ride for an "agressive" ride through the local twisties. As our now endangered friend pushes the 300 pounds of pressure onto a shortened stock spring in a very hard corner, the spring does exactly as it was designed to do. It compresses 3 full inches... But WAIT... Slippy's new suspension has only 2.5 inches of compression. At the point of full compression the bumpstops contact the A-arm in a very resounding manner. (Let's not forget to mention the dampeners have reached their limit of pressure as well, they could blow a gasket at this point assing to our problems) The suspension no longer gives the corner absorbing qualities it did only a second before, and it changes attitude at mid corner... Hopefully our test subject Slippy has enough experience to keep the car under control and returns home safely, if not he becomes as his name infers, a corner smasher.

There are safty issues at stake here. As well at the destruction of your dampeners (that may be the first thing others tell you). Since they are valved for a differend pressure then you will be puttign on them. Of course this is an issue even if you buy lowering springs and put them on stock dampeners.

This will not happen every time, and the dampeners may last you a wile. But these are the reasons for not cutting springs.

I do not condem someone who cuts springs. Or does something else I find silly (big wings included). However, please be kind enough to understand that you WILL have people telling you it is wrong if you cut the springs. I recomend lowering it, It improves handeling and it does inprove the look of a ZX3 for sure. Just research how low, and EXACTLY what you want so you do it right. Wait and save up money.

There are lots of knowlegable people here that can help with finding what is right for you. Be humble and ask.

This story is brought to you by the Letter "S" as in "OH S[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]!!!" and by those of us that remember loosing one of our own to a big truck and a corner taken at too high of a speed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts