·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of installing rear camber arms and toe arms and I
had a seized bolt on the passenger side toe arm. I cut the bolt and now
I am left with part of it still in the nut and I cannot turn it with pliers
or even vice grips.

Would a bolt extraction kit work in my situation?
Does anyone have one they'd recommend?

Here are the pics:

Tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.[thumb]

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
one option is find a set of twist sockets. similar to these, but shallow. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=65957&group_ID=11918.

or heat it then try the vise grips,

or left handed drill bit with an easy outhttp://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=10474&group_ID=1261&store=&dir=catalog. there are tons of tools available for broken bolts. it sucks but the easiest way will require buying tools.

OR if you own a welder you could attempt to weld a nut on to the bolt. Just be careful.

oh, and if possible i would try to make that bolt come out the way it would if it was whole. the threads look trashed. no need to risk the threads in the nut.

i must have mis read before. I use this http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=62659&group_ID=1254 but i think that is to much money to use one time.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I will be taking the bolt out the way it would have came out for sure.

Do you think a twist socket would work on the short side where I cut it?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Just cut the nut off and use a normal bolt w/out captured nut. I've had to do it a couple times on the suspensions of a couple foci. Works fine, no problems.
Standard bolt is 12mm, 1.75 pitch, about 70mm long.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My sawzall won't fit in there to cut the nut and I don't have any other tools to do that.
I'd rather keep that nut on there anyway.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Can you get your hands on a dremel? I would bring one out to you but I'm going to be pretty busy after work the next couple of days :(
If you're in dire need and wanted to meet me somewhere i could do that too?

Or...get a cut off wheel attachment for a drill from Home Depot or Lowes?

I agree about just cutting it off, I did on both of mine when I installed toe arms. No issues since, I think it's welded just to make installation easier. I hate those nuts.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
I tried the bold extractor sockets on time....didn't work. Did you soak it with penetrating lubricant?

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its been sprayed with PB blaster multiple times/days.
I'm going to just get a cut off wheel and grind the nut off and get a new nut for it.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up grinding off the nut and replaced it with a new nut.
Worked out great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts