Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, so I've been looking for somewhere to mount my xm for awhile now, n I've finally decided on putting it in the spare change section to the right of the gauge cluster. I've seen a few people put some gauges in here. what I was wondering was...how would I go about mounting an xm in there? The xm is a little bit too big to just put in. any tips? and how would I get it to stay in there? rep will be given when deserved =)

The area I'm talking about is the section to the right of the gauge cluster. It's the part of the cluster surround thats meant for holding change. the opening to the right of the gauges.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come on, this threads been viewed 32 times...no ideas from any one of those 32 ppl? =p

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
definately seen an xm radio put in there. i have no idea how they did it, but it looked damn good, and really stock looking as well.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
This is mine, but really only works with the Myfi home dock:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Btw, I've cleaned up those wires (the power outlet and the AUX cable) by running them back behind the panel between the stereo and the grey panel. Didn't want you guys to think I do a sloppy job. I like my wires neat, lol.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
02ZX3NJ, simply because i don't have the money =p this xm was a birthday gift last year. n capcurt, ya, thats what i was hoping for. it almost fits in right now, its just a little too big, but the shape is really similar to the hole already so it should look nice and stock

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
evan, if you know how to work with fiberglass it would be pretty easy. pick up an extra bezel off ebay and just start cutting and glassing.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
only used fiberglass once, in a school project a year back =p haha. but im sure i could do it if i was given instructions or a write up on fiberglassing. u think that would be the best and/or easiest method?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I used industrial-strength double-sided sticky tape from Home Depot. Stuff from Wal-Mart won't hold for very long.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Get a deck that supports XM (i personally prefer Sirius), and get the receiver box and put behind dash. You cant beat seamless :)

I have a Pioneer DEH-7900BT with Sirius box behind the dash, Works great. Would never consider an external FM unit

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mine doesnt go thru FM, i have a double male cable connecting it to the stereo. heres a pic

its in the bottom right

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
Sounds like a job for a Dremel tool and a steady hand .

·
Registered
37 Posts
mine doesnt go thru FM, i have a double male cable connecting it to the stereo. heres a pic

its in the bottom right
I like how you have it mounted in that useless little cubby behind the shifter. Seems like a perfect place for an ipod or satellite radio. Has anyone mounted a myfi in this area?

·
Registered
518 Posts
With my Alpine unit, there's a Sirius module that I mounted behind the radio. I then mounted the antenna right below the windshield in the dimpled area and ran the wire through the firewall. Looks good IMO.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a xpress radio an I mounted it in the former useless space in front of the shifter. I also installed an extra power outlet so that I could have the one in the dash to charge the cellphone or any other thing. I will see if can grab a picture of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts