Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to build a custom wooden deck off of the Kona Roof rack but want to use only the mounts. I do not (REPEAT DO NOT) want to drill or modify the metal rails. I will just remove them. Then if I change my mind I am just out some firewood and can put the original rack back together.

I need suggestions for the overall design though.
I am planning on replacing the front cross bar with a similar sized wooden dowel or similar. Then I can just drill holes and use the current holes on the mount. then I need to mount bar across the rear essentially connecting the two rear mounts. Then I will just drill accordingly into the two cross bars to mount the wooden slats that will go between the two forming the deck.

I will try and get pictures up when there is some light to better explain what I mean.

essentially I am going to try and model it towards the one built for the Rusty BMW thread.

I just want the mount on the rear to look good. any Ideas? also is this structurally sound? A lot of this will be for looks but I need it to carry camping gear and such.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you man. I plan on doing that at some point but right now the metal/ welding is not in the budget. That will probably happen when I get back to school ( i have friends that can weld but dont have their own units and need the schools.) I will save that page though. Thats a beautiful car.

Any suggestions on what I can do in the meantime for the rear crossbar? ( i am actually leaving for a camping trip thursday evening so it needs to be quick.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I had planned to do a crossbar at the back. problem is the mounting bracket has a 90* angle right where i cant have one. Any suggestions to over come this? maybe a tiny wooden block there to raise the mounting surface? I could glue it on the end of the crossbar and carriage bolt through the crossbar, small block and the mount?

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
would selling your rack and switching to a yakima rack be out of the question? those use round bars IIRC rusty was using yakima clips but I'm not sure......

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is currently out of the budget. I actually got the Kona roof rack for a ridiculous low price ( like $100 ish I believe)

once fall comes around I will make a welded nice one because my friends will be able to weld and hopefully I will have more money by then.

I just want to make this work and to look nice. Going camping tomorrow night and need the space.

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
The best thing I can come up with is like you said to have some spacer blocks and then probably what I'd suggest is a square/rectangle bar in the back rather than round just so that its easier to mount and I can't quite see how you'd easily accomplish a round bar in the back and have it be clean looking.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
Home depot sells lengths of square aluminum. It's easy to cut through to make a mounting hole and light enough to not weight the rack down too much.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it strong enough to support cargo on top?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts