Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been rattling the idea around in my head for a few days now, and I've got some crap to do towards the back, but I'd been thinking about a unique turn signal set up for US Foci for those that want a set up like the euro tail lamps, but a little different.

Anyone who has put them on their car knows that it leaves you having to mount a reverse light somewhere else so you can have one, if your state requires it. South Carolina doesn't, but it'd be weird to see a car without some form of reverse lighting. That aside, I've been thinking about moving the reverse lights down and into the molding strip that houses the tag lights, and modifying the wiring in the tail lamp to include amber turn signal bulbs in the standard US reverse lamp housing.

It would be similar in layout to this.

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2005_subaru_outback_rear_100008434_m.jpg

Any Thoughts?

·
RIP 02 SVT 0209
3,944 Posts
ahh wire the turns to the clear back up light spot then get a euro back bumper
problem solved

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I like your ideas.

Here's what I did to my US taillights before going to Euro tails. Brake is top, turn signal in the bottom using front turn signal sockets so I could use a brighter bulb, and LED taillight.

And what I did for my reverse lights: a set of LED strips from walmart. Amazingly, they have survived two hard winter and still work flawlessly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like your ideas.

Here's what I did to my US taillights before going to Euro tails. Brake is top, turn signal in the bottom using front turn signal sockets so I could use a brighter bulb, and LED taillight.

And what I did for my reverse lights: a set of LED strips from walmart. Amazingly, they have survived two hard winter and still work flawlessly.

That looks awesome. Do the front turn signal sockets fit directly in? Or does that take some modification?

I'd be curious to see what those LED strips look like when they're not lit up. I'm going for a look that would, to the average passerby, look just like it would if Ford had done it that way all along. That's why, keep the US tail lamp assemblies, and move the reverse lights to the trim strip, or thereabouts.

I've seen a few US Foci with a euro tail conversion, where they mount the reverse light low and offset like that, and it drives me crazy for the lack of symmetry. But that's just me.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I had to modify the socket holders to fit but you might be able to get brighter bulb that will fit right into the reverse light sockets than the ones I first tried using.

The LED strips are black on black so they aren't all that noticeable to most. Here's a pic without them on.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to modify the socket holders to fit but you might be able to get brighter bulb that will fit right into the reverse light sockets than the ones I first tried using.
I might get a couple of new assemblies, and use the old ones for a practice run if I can't modify the existing socket to work, or accept an amber bulb. I like the idea of separate brake/turn signal lamps, but I'm just not as keen on the amber lenses. Personal opinion I guess..

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Yeah, I feel ya. I had to tint my Euro tails so the orange wasn't so pronounced.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
For the longest I had the idea of putting amber/white switchback LEDs in the backup light. Amber turns and backup lights all in one.

I have Eurostars, the clear portion is the blinkers for a Euro car. With these a switchback bulb would fit right in, I would just have to change the wiring a little.

US tails would need a some modding to get a 3157 or 1157 switchback bulb to fit, but it should work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts