Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting a good bit of PM asking about my Tuning so I thought I would post here

I sell the SCT X4 Flasher , Full Custom Tune for 5speed or Automatic , Free unlimited Lifetime Tune updates as you add more NA mods , Datalogging , US shipped for 462.00

NA or Boosted ( Boosted Tune cost more )

Engine Tune you will see better over all daily driveability , better performance , most say better MPG

Let me know if you have any questions

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Tom,

I see your posts all over the place. It seems like an appealing offer, although I am not sure how realistic it is. I'd love to see some data to back up the following claims.

1)Better overall daily drivability
Could you elaborate? Are you referring to changing the pedal map?

2)Better performance
Does this require running premium fuel? What are typical horsepower/torque gains on a non boosted engine? Do you have any dyno charts or datalogs showing acceleration times?

3)Better MPG
How do you achieve better MPG? Usually drivability and power gains are made at the sacrifice of MPG. Do you have any datalogs of before and after fuel consumption (miles traveled/ injector mass flow)

·
FF Affiliate
30,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1)Better overall daily drivability
Could you elaborate? Are you referring to changing the pedal map?
I make over 200 changes in my Custom Tune files and about that many more if you have the Auto Transmission all this is to make the Engine work more efficient why keeping it safe

blackses2009 said:

2)Better performance
Does this require running premium fuel? What are typical horsepower/torque gains on a non boosted engine? Do you have any dyno charts or datalogs showing acceleration times?
You tell me what Octane you run , The best performance and MPG is going to come from 93 with the MK3 Engne , I can make you a 87 , 91 , 93 Custom Tune or all 3 thats up to you , I have my own inhouse Dynojet Dyno and have many Dynos of the MK3 but that isnt going to show the gains you will see , any Tuner that sais you will see X HP and Y TQ from there Tune ask them to guarantee it after you do a before and after Dyno and you will find quickly they wont / cant this is why I dont post gain # or Dynos , shops that post dynos 98% of the time will only show the best Dynos just to sell more product knowing most will never see those gains to me this is very dishonest

blackses2009 said:

3)Better MPG
How do you achieve better MPG? Usually drivability and power gains are made at the sacrifice of MPG. Do you have any datalogs of before and after fuel consumption (miles traveled/ injector mass flow)
My Custom Tune has Power gains to make the Engine more efficient through out the rpm band not just at WOT doing this increases MPG , Better driveability comes from increased throttle response , engine being more efficient , Injector mass flow wont have any indication on MPG , I am going from the hundreds of Tuned Customers that tell me there MPG increased as well as my Wifes Tit and my SEL as well

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
I make over 200 changes in my Custom Tune files and about that many more if you have the Auto Transmission all this is to make the Engine work more efficient why keeping it safe
I am less concerned with the number of changes and more concerned with what you are actually changing. Are you changing fueling in order to achieve this efficiency. Are you turning off or bypassing emission monitors?

You tell me what Octane you run , The best performance and MPG is going to come from 93 with the MK3 Engne , I can make you a 87 , 91 , 93 Custom Tune or all 3 thats up to you , I have my own inhouse Dynojet Dyno and have many Dynos of the MK3 but that isnt going to show the gains you will see , any Tuner that sais you will see X HP and Y TQ from there Tune ask them to guarantee it after you do a before and after Dyno and you will find quickly they wont / cant this is why I dont post gain # or Dynos , shops that post dynos 98% of the time will only show the best Dynos just to sell more product knowing most will never see those gains to me this is very dishonest
In your original post you mentioned "better performance" yet you don't post any data. It would be nice to see anecdotal evidence of gains that you have made with qualifiers such as octane (summer/winter blend), ambient air temperature, and engine mileage. Shouldn't be too hard since you have your own Dyno.

My Custom Tune has Power gains to make the Engine more efficient through out the rpm band not just at WOT doing this increases MPG , Better driveability comes from increased throttle response , engine being more efficient , Injector mass flow wont have any indication on MPG , I am going from the hundreds of Tuned Customers that tell me there MPG increased as well as my Wifes Tit and my SEL as well
Again I find it difficult to understand how exactly you are making the engine more efficient. Transmission gearing and BSFC are things you cannot change.

Injector mass flow is the quantity of fuel flowing through the injectors. It is the most precise way of measuring fuel economy. Maybe I am in the minority but I can't justify spending $462.00 based on general statements and your wife.

·
FF Affiliate
30,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Injector mass flow is going to change every second up and down as you change the throttle up and down , as th load changes , as the rpm changes , you cannot measure MPG by injector mass flow unless you pick a chosen point , Taking the Injector dutycycle , convert that to lb per Hr flow then convert that to distance traveled in a given amount of time then thats going to be dependant on many other factors , car weight , road condition , wind etc etc etc , this is not a way to check fuel economy unless you can mechanically set the throttle in a set position , set the RPM in a set position and the engine stays at that point , do your calculation above and move to the next 100 rpm up and start over

Its easy to make any Engine more efficient you get proper fueling , proper timing , proper cam settings on both cams ( cam timing ) , Change your TQ settings , reduce trans slippage if Auto trans , adjusting the knock sensors and I could go on and on
Your correct I cannot change the Brake Specific Fuel Consumption ( BASF ) but I dont need to to make a Engine more efficient , Thats what Dynos have been doing sense 1928 giving Tuners the ability to test if the changes being made from Carb jetting , timing , cam adjustments , EFI Tuning etc increase HP/TQ which comes from making the engine more efficient , Now we have datalogging which is used to show what change need to be made to make the engine more efficient

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts