Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have an FS CAI and I noticed my fuel economy took a bit of a hit... oh well. But now I want to get a custom tune. What would this do in terms of the warranty I have from Ford, the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty... I know it could already be voided due to the CAI but would adding a custom tune be noticeable to dealerships or?

And any advice on where to get a good custom tune in the Southeastern MA area... I heard it's best to go to a place with a dyno so you can get a true custom tune. Thanks!

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Its best for warranty people, so get a "cookie cutter" tune on an interface. Xcal1 or 2...so you can switch whenever you need to.

The dyno shop tunes are best for when you are all paid up IMO.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
xcal 1 or 2... i'll look into it thanks!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
yeah thanks for anwsering that i was wondering the same i thought with the xcal u could defualt my computer on my car so they cant tell its on there which is good.. those are like 400 dollers though alot for you money but i guess u could charge friends and do theres too lol

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It's locked to your vin and will only work on one car until it is unlocked by returning said car to a stock tune.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
oh that sucks i guess they dont want you messin with other ppls cars lol

·
Registered
583 Posts
i have a questions about a tune... if i spend the money ona tune... ( i have an ATX) I know :( but whatev's will my mpg's go up and still be able to use 87 octane?...... ok the real question. I take my car into the dealership for oil changes like every 3 to 4 months. 3k or 5k depends...will they trip out if they saw that my car was on a tune? i dont want my warranty to be voided... how will they know i have a tune on my car. do they check it everytime i would come in for an oil change? im sorry but im a newbie at these things...

Johnny

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
I do not take my car to the dealership because

1) It takes way too long.

2) I can get it for 5 bucks less elsewhere and get it done in 15 minutes.

But I don't think they hook your car up to the computer unless you are throwing a code and ask them too. You should be fine.

I have the automagic transmission also, and its amazing what a lil kick into the ECU's rear will do for your shifting. Besides the extra drivetrain loss, I am amazed at my car now when I get in it, vs. dang this thing shifts slow.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I didn't have a warranty I wouldn't deal with dealerships...

I'm definetly going to look into the XCal2... where do you plug it in to tho?

oh yea and can i still use 87 octane or would I have to switch to something higher?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
You don't have to go to the dealer for service to maintain your warranty; just keep your service receipts from whereever you go.

The Xcal and Xcal2 plug into the diagnostic port below your steering wheel next to the fuse box. As for running on 87, it all depends on the tune. Usually, one adds more timing to get more power, and that usually requires higher octane. But you could have who you buy the tune from make a tune to run on 87, but don't expect much in power increases.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Not to tell who you to buy it from, but I have Wayne's Hypnotic tune. And its amazing with just my minimal mods. It comes with 3 tunes, 87-93-93 aggressive....of course I run the aggressive. I still get about 26-28 city...I haven't been on a road trip in a while, but I get about 32 highway...I got 34 when I went to San Antonio a while back on the 87 octane tune.

Like you, I want my warranty still valid, so I am not going to go mod crazy. But, intake, tune, and exhaust and you'll be happy until you can tear the engine apart and install more go fast goodies.

Egz, what mods do you have, you are faster than an ST.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
When that was run, it was just a MM CAI and was on Falken Azenis tires. That was a long time ago, back when the car actually ran. [;)]

Expect some new and improved numbers when the new engine is together and in.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ok, about them voiding your warranty. It is actually illegal for them to void your warranty for installing aftermarket parts. But they can refuse not to pay for fixes that are cause by that part or by your own fault. Im just talking about like CAI's and exhaust.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Egz... you ran a 15.4 with just an in take basically???

That's DAMN good!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts