Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a custom sub box made for the back of the zx3 that doesn't take the function away from the back area (trunk?). I have seen the SVT sub but 8" sub just isnt going to cut it. I would like at least a 10". Has anyone made or had someone make a custom sub box that mounts in the rear right or left panel of the car? I dont want anything flashy, more like something that can blend in and look almost stock. Any suggestions comments would be much appreciated.
thanks,
matt=

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Next time post this in the car audio section. Anyways, If you get a small box 10" you can have the enclosure in the spare tire well. That does mean getting rid of the spare. Pick your evils. They can build a box a little smaller than needed and put poly-fill in it to make the speaker think it is bigger.

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
yah also u might be able to stick a 10 on each side...if an 8 fits I'm sure a 10 could

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OH sorry didnt even think about posting somewhere else. Thanks for the pic mackensie that is exactly what i am looking for.
thanks!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome stuff, the stealth box just may be the way to go, as much as i would like to build my own..time and space is limited for me. Thanks for that one bluebisz, i think we were posting at the same time hence my delayed response to yours..crazy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the only problem with the stealth box (for me anyway) is that it is greatly cost prohibitive. something like 600 bucks.

so with my 100 refurbished jl 12w3 (with JL sealed box, soon to be sold), and with my 100 dollar rf 200m, and 30 bucks in fiberglass stuff. I should have a comparable experience for ~350 less dollars.

oh and that 12w3 really sounds simply awesome in the zx3 [8D]

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I know this isn't the 3door but you get the idea. The rear panels in the wagon have plenty of space behind them for a most 10" drivers.
This cost $20 (including sub) and part of a weekend to install. Made an MDF quarter-box to mount sub to frame, sealed around edges.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool, ideas are flying through my head, now for the next question...where did you guys hide the amp?

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
for fabricating it just put it on and stple it to one side (it shouldn't go throguh the fibergalss and make a hole unless it's a pretty powerfull staple gun) and then take 3M adhesive spray (can get it just about any hardware store or walmart) and spray some on, let it sit for a min or two until it gets tacky and then pull the carpet over it and stple it to the other side while pulling it somewhat tight and then as it's drying gently smooth it over so it sticks good. hope that helps.

- Scott

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
And by the way, this is a time consuming project. You can use products like bondo brand polyester resin from walmart for about $8.50 a can (can't remember how much is in it) and the matting which isn't expensive at all and there's plenty, you'll need about 3 or 4 cans of that resin though and probably one maybe 2 things of matting, for a rule of thumb, you should build the fiberglass up to at least 1/4 of an inch, you want there to be 0 flex, also buy lots of the cheapest brushes you can find, i get polyester brushes from walmart for about $.45 a peice, you need lots of them though. you want to make a ring for the subwoofer and then stretch fleece or some other stretchable and absorable material over it, but don't drench the thing in resin at first or it will sag from all the added weight. if tehre are any odd dumps or whatever sand them down between layers so there's less sanding to do later, if your going to cover it in carpet you don't need to be as careful because carpet covers most imperfections, if your going to wrap it in vinyl you'll need a very smooth surface and you'll need to use bondo and sand alot, then sand some more, then more, then a little more, then when you think your done, sand more, and more, then your ready, if your going to paint it then sand even more and get a nice air powered paint applicator or have someone else do it like a car shop but bring some cash, good luck.

- Scott

·
Registered
838 Posts
I agree with everything hear! I don't know if you care but I will not have a trunk when my box is done. I am going to have 2 tens and between the back seats and the trunk I am going to screw in my amps crossovers and distribution block. Also running neon with diffent colored wires make like a design or something showing the wires. I have done lots of fiberglassing if you have any questions but this is going to be my biggest job. It will take at least a month or two.

·
Registered
14 Posts
mackensie said:
The answer is mildly easy. You'd have to do your own fabricaiton, but there are millions of fiberglass tutorials online. Check out this setup:

shitty sub, nice custom box
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4289586713
Hey there! I built that box that you see here. Yes the sub is shitty and it didn't stay in that box to long. That took me about 20 hours to complete. It hit really good and I really liked the way that it turned out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts