Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to forced induction but I have learned a lot surfing around FF. I was wondering would it be possible to make my own set up of a procharger or supercharger that sucked in the air from my CAI? If so i was thinking of just buying a pro/supercharger and intake manifold, fabricating some pipe to my throttle body and CAI and getting a new serpentine. This would mean no innercooler. any thoughts?

·
Deaf Focus Fanatic
2,026 Posts
In my opinion, I think you'd better go off with a turbo. if you want a supercharger, ProCharger :) But I would bet others would tell you to go Turbo.

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
Every bodu is goin to say go turbo. And what do you mean custom procharger

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
You're CAI is going to need replaced reguardless if you go F/I. The procharger can use the stock intake manifold so you won't need to replace that. And why do a custom kit when you can buy them readily available for probably much cheaper than it would cost to make a custom one.

Depends on your power goals and budget and preference really between superchargers and turbos. The Procharger is the way to go as far as S/C's go, it's easily upgradeable and can show some rather impressive numbers and also doesn't cost to much. A good turbo kit may cost alittle more but is going to give you better gains. If you search there are countless threads on the subject but you're going to find most people will say turbo.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason i dont go turbo is the install, they seem the hardest to put in your self. Im pretty good with tools, how difficult would it be? Well i was leaning toward the procharger.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you work in a tube bending place like I do then making your own piping and welding it together would be cheaper I would expect then buying a used Procharger kit which usually go for 2200-2500 bucks. If not then I would suggest buying a used kit and save you some time and maybe some trouble. Again I guess it really comes down to how much skill/experience you have in fabrication and how much the piping well be not to add the Procharger itself.

Plus you said you weren't going to run an intercooler if you custom it which I think is a mistake. One of he great advantages of the Procharger is that it's intercooled thus making tuning and higher power outputs easier and realistic. Running no intercooler won't only stop you from reaching the Procharger's full potential but well probably be dangerous to your engine as well.

I don't know why everytime some says "supercharger" someone states "turbo" in reply which makes no sense to me. Just answer the kid's question...No lectures needed.

·
FF Affiliate
31,181 Posts
I don't know why everytime some says "supercharger" someone states "turbo" in reply which makes no sense to me. Just answer the kid's question...No lectures needed.
Because of this

The reason i dont go turbo is the install, they seem the hardest to put in your self. Im pretty good with tools, how difficult would it be? Well i was leaning toward the procharger.
A lot of people dont understand turbos and they think there harder to install , harder on the engine , harder to maintain and there not , so why not pass on that info and with all the above being cleared up , plus having more TQ , more adjustability ETC he will have better boost and more fun

Tom

·
Registered
133 Posts
It depends on what type of power you are looking for but even though your peak power potential is typically higher on a turbo'd application I would get another centrifugal SC in a heartbeat. Nothing really matches the whirr/whistle...

·
Registered
88 Posts
s
A lot of people dont understand turbos and they think there harder to install , harder on the engine , harder to maintain and there not , so why not pass on that info and with all the above being cleared up , plus having more TQ , more adjustability ETC he will have better boost and more fun

Tom
I understand but many members on here say "turbo" even when opinions (ummmm..stereotypes?) of turbos aren't even brought up. I would just like people to stay with the issues instead of "I think you should do this..." or "This is better..." just answer the man's question. Feels like Honda-tech...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm new to forced induction but I have learned a lot surfing around FF. I was wondering would it be possible to make my own set up of a procharger or supercharger that sucked in the air from my CAI? If so i was thinking of just buying a pro/supercharger and intake manifold, fabricating some pipe to my throttle body and CAI and getting a new serpentine. This would mean no innercooler. any thoughts?
Are you thinking this way to save money? What is your budget? The piping for the blower is probably the cheapest part of the whole kit, so making it up yourself is not going to save you much. By the time you buy a blower and the mounting/drive brackets, you've probably spent most of what a complete used kit would cost.

Don't forget tuning either, there are no cheap/easy options for tuning on an SVTF, so you need to include that in your budget for almost any supercharger or turbo.

Gregg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was trying to save money but now im just going to save for toms diy turbo kit. This convinced me...

Tom

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
solid choice.....

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
You will not regret it......Oh yeah and FWIW the sound of a spooling turbo is hands down cooler then the whining of a supercharger and to top it off you got the BOV on the turbo car! [poke] I know that was a little uncalled for. But had to do it!

Either way like I said I think you will enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Good point

1 - 19 of 19 Posts