Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And so it begins... I'm finally going to start buying parts for my first custom liquid cooling loop [headbang] It'll be fully custom, externally mounted triple 120mm rad, 1/2-5/8" tubing, compression fittings, D5 pump, reservoir, clear tube with blue UV fluid, 2 or 4 UV cathodes, and CPU block. Eventually I plan on getting a GPU block, but for now it will only be CPU to start, all mounted in a HAF 932. I'm very excited.

I've been watching a lot videos from different sources and am finally comfortable with a first attempt. It's going to take a couple months to pick up the parts I need - it's hard to justify the one-time purchase of everything rather than parting out the purchases.

Ordered a few things on the weekend to start with because they were on sale. Much more to come...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the best example I could find for how I'd like to exactly configure my loop. Radiator mounted externally on the back (including spacers). I want the best performance I can get with a single CPU block, thus the triple rad. The tube configuration is what I'm going to mirror in my build. Also, the reservoir will be a cylinder, compression fittings instead of barbs, and a D5 pump.

This is only an example from the internet, but I really liked the tube configuration:

I could go on about how I'd like to tweak the final build to my liking and needs, but that is yet to come ;)

·
FF's Night Security
28,767 Posts
I was thinking of water cooling myself but went with air since I needed to cool my MB as well so I went with air. I saw Newegg had a really nice water cooler kit for 70 something bucks. Dual 120mm fans nice size radiator, but that was just for the CPU.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
I had a corsair liquid cooling system in 1 of my builds for the cpu. All because I bought to small of a tower that wouldn't hold hardly anything.
Only thing I didn't like about it was I had to keep the filter washed constantly because it would get clogged pretty bad in just a few days.

·
TARBO-PANDA
4,910 Posts
Husband units rig has been through several custom loops. I've only done one - and eventually just went back to a pre-built. It's what I had around and was easy that time...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm done with air on my gaming machine. Currently inside my case are 2 x 200m and 5 x 120mm, with a fan controller (6 channel). Current CPU cooler is a massive TPC 812 with 2 fans (push/pull). I believe I've hit the limit as close as I can in regards to air cooling. Plus the added headroom for overclocking, which depends on multiple variables, but I should be able to push it further.

I've seen a lot of pre-assembled closed loop kits, but they never tickled my fancy. Ever since seeing a custom loop I've wanted to build one.

·
TARBO-PANDA
4,910 Posts
Custom loops can be a lot of fun and for the most part also just work after you get them all setup. Some really cool setups out there. I also like the rounded chamber for a reservoir.

I'm not thermally limited on my OC -- so I have no reason to do more.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm doing it more for the fun factor than OC'ing. But, I do believe a block on the GPU would net a better OC on the video card. It's eventual that I'll add the GPU block, but I'm going to start with a basic one block/one rad loop.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ordered the parts for my loop, they'll be here Wednesday :D Decided to save some cash and go with all straight compression fittings, tubing will be a little more of a challenge, but it should work all the same. Also decided to go with a dual rad (240) so I can mount it internally and have a cleaner look (will add more rads when I add the GPU to the loop).

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

An update on my custom loop...

First off, I gotta say, once I had all the parts laid out in front of me I knew it would be a slightly more daunting task than first expected. The parts were bigger than I thought, never saw them in person beforehand :p

In approximately 8 hours I had it running. Configuring the tubing was a challenge. I thought it would be easier, but nope, coupled with the compression fittings and the challenges they provided. I had slices in my thumbs when tightening the first two fittings, not deep but were cutting into the skin, then I put some gloves on.

I need to confess something... I made a mistake with the case I mentioned having in a previous post. I thought I had a HAF 932, but alas I only have the HAF 922, which made a difference in the room I had to "maneuver".

So far I have the CPU block in the loop. However, after mounting the reservoir it became apparent the video card would no longer fit, but would if I added it to the loop because the GPU's board fit but not if it included the heatsink and fan(s). I ordered the GPU block tonight and should have it by the end of the week, then I'll need to order another rad and some 45 degree fittings that I need.

Some before and after shots:

And yes, I modded the case. I painted the inside, roughly, wasn't looking for professional quality, just wanted the inside black. I also added some painted acrylic. For the acrylic I painted the back side, turned it around, and added some vinyl to the back to prevent scratches, used magnets to mount it so it's easily removable. I wasn't keen on the look at first, but it's growing on me, and the best part is it covers the 5.25" and 3.5" HDD and optical bays.

You'll probably notice the pump isn't sitting level because I need a 45 degree fitting so it doesn't start to pinch the tube.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
wouldnt it have been more efficient to route the hot fluid from the chip directly to the radiator where you would have the highest delta T and shed the most heat? Or were you aiming to have the just cooled fluid pumped to the chip?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wouldnt it have been more efficient to route the hot fluid from the chip directly to the radiator where you would have the highest delta T and shed the most heat? Or were you aiming to have the just cooled fluid pumped to the chip?
Your second thought is correct. Get the cooled fluid from the rad to the CPU. Honestly, either would work just fine, the loop cools to a constant temp anyway, but it is debatable. I was thinking about adding another rad to the loop right before it enters the reservoir, but that's in the future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts