Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this is the right place for this... it is inside the car and it is electronic... so i don't know. What I want to do... read-->eventually.... is replace my current speedo and tach with a custom system that will display any information about the car, speedo and tach included. I have a few ideas on how to do this. I'd like to buy an lcd display/ripping one from a digiphrame and put it in place of the entire speedo, I'd have to custom fabricate that part of the dash but I plan on doing that anyway so it should be a problem. The lcd would, obviously, be the part of the system that displays the info. SO, in order to accomplish this it needs to be attached to something that is capable of reading the information from the odb whatever ports and then sending it to the lcd as information I can see. This brings about the idea of making/buying a car pc and using it as the interpreter. It sounds like it simplifies the equation, but it also adds some more problems. I'll get to the problems in a second. The advantages are many. I would have a system that is prepped and ready for a screen. I'd simply have to hook up the display to the back of the pc and I'd have something to look at(i believe so anyway). With this I could then run a program on the pc that reads the info from the odb whatever ports and already has an established gui. Then it would just be a matter of controlling what is on the screen. Yay, digital speedo. Ok... now for the problems with that. First and formost it is a pc and it needs to boot up, not good. Second, being a pc, it may need to run windows or at least linux and I think we all know how windows can be. I don't need my pc crashing on the highway and taking my speedo with it. Also, it doesn't give the same effect either. It feels too thrown together. It wouldn't be dedicated to just being a speedo. Now, moving on. I don't know how lcd displays work in cars that already do what I am going to attempt here, but there may be a possibility I can at least learn from them. Take the upcoming hybrid mondeo, I believe it is the mondeo. It has a great lcd display in it. The current prius as well. What sort of module are they using to accomplish this? It may be what I need. It may also be a very hi tech computer system that can only be accessed with special tools and programs, in which case I am sol. I want this to be as dedicated, solid, and professional as the ones that are already in cars.
I don't know if there are any generic magic boxes that you can just hook up to the ports and to the lcd and it magically spits the info onto the screen. If there are, please let me know. Obviously this is going to take a while, I am not made of money. So in the mean time give me some advice, tell me what you think, and help me if you can, please. Thanks for reading all of this and I hope that I didn't lose track of anything somewhere in all those words. Ty, SPACE

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
That would be tight but...cost alot and take alot of time and planning. It is possible I am sure, but look into everything and get an idea of what you are going to spend before you start buying stuff. And if you do end up doing it, keep us posted with lots of pictures.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
i dont remember where i saw it, but i remember seeing pictures of a toyota mr2 that had something similar done

only thing, is that it was an ENTIRE system, it replaced the speedo, etc. with a screen, and replced the radio with a "command" center

basically, the screen where the speedo was gave info on EVERYTHING.. tire pressures, temps, speedo, tach, fuel consumption, spring rates, trans temp, oil temp, water temp, boost gauge... EVERYTHING, i know there was a LOT more

im trying to find it, i cant remember if it was linked from here, or where i saw it...

ill keep looking though

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
DUDE! I remember that now! That is so awesome! Thanks for finding that, it could help me a ton. I had pretty much forgotten about it, lol. Thanks man! [cheers][clap]
yea, i had forgotten about it until i saw your thread

im sure it was an expensive setup, but damn its amazing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts