Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Custom Installed Garage/Gate Door Opener (Part II) + Custom Switch Panel

Well if any of you remember the first part (click here), I did a much better install this time. I like this switch better then the old one. I'm also moving my other switches from the fuse panel location as I that's where I have my TC kill switch and interior LED vent switches. They will now all be in this new location. Pics below.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nice. Very clean install. Good work

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
that's really nice. It turned out great.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm rewiring my other switches that I had in my fuse panel to the new location on the sunroof.

I was figuring out how to rewire my traction control kill switch to my new switches so that when I turn it off the button lights up. Well the only way that can be done with with a relay. And what relay would work perfectly is the one that I removed/modified in the fuse box in the engine bay for the Fog Light Mod(read bottom as I will describe that too). So when I power the relay with the switch, it disconnects or interrupts the TC circuit thus disabling it. I've included pictures of how I was testing this with 2 differnet 12v AC adapters so I could have the 2 sources of power, one for the switch and one for the TC circuit(Blue LED). So now when I push the switch for the TC Kill switch, the switch will light up and disable my traction control.

TC on as indicated by the Blue LED being ON and Orange Switch OFF:

TC off as indicted with the Blue LED OFF and the Orange switch ON:

Fog Light Mod Relay switch modification:
Remove the relay, I think it's R13 from the engine bay fuse panel and remove the outer casing which can be done with 2 flat head screw drivers on both sides. You will see at the bottom where the relay contacts are. Just push a piece of plastic in there to keep that contact always "open". Put it all back together and reinstall. Now you can run your foglights with just your parking/driving lights on.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
what did you do for the garage door open? because i cant imagine that is a toggle switch? any good pics of how you did that? im going to want to do that mod soon

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I soldered 2 wires to the garage door opener and extended those wires out. I removed the battery. I took a rubberband around the opener so the opener is always "on". Those 2 wires are wired to a switch so the opener can stay on all the time as long as the switch is on and the car is on. I tapped into the sunroof wires for power.

As you can see all the switches are all hooked up together for power/ground. Just need to hook up the middle wire to the source which will probably just be relays so it doesn't draw much current. You can see a little of how I did it in the last picture of the original post.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
i consider myself good with electrics and wiring but thats confusing lol

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
very clean install! id prefer a OEM style connector that connected your sunroof panel to the car. this way you arent soldering or stripping, connected wires above your seats.

this is actually where i have already installed my inner and outer glow switches. i really need to post my ideas/projects more than i do.

again, great job[thumb]

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i consider myself good with electrics and wiring but thats confusing lol
LOL but it works and it works pretty damn well too [;)]. I will have everything finalized and installed tomorrow. It's too dark now. I need to find a new fuse panel cover as I got 2 holes drilled in it from my other 2 toggle switches. I actually prefer this spot over the fuse panel location now.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Makes me wish I had a sunroof so I had that panel. But once I start adding lights ... maybe I'll figure out how to put that panel in anyways. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts