Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well some of you may know i messed up my car in the snow hitting the curb: turns out i bent both drivers' side lower control arms [?|]
so yes that sucks and puts off some of my plans for performance upgrades... but anyway...

the guy in the shop is in his twenties loves cars too so in my conversation i brought up my plans for the car and he said paying as much as we typically do for exhaust is ridiculous. he said hed do a custom for me 2.5" SS with a flowmaster (told me magnaflow sucks...) muffler and high flow cat for 350ish and not much more to install (maybe cost of a trubenz shipped). i just want everyone's thoughts what to look for, what to ask for in regards to this i wanna make sure im getting what i want and something good. i also dont know much about customs do they tend to mandrel bend or weld and should i ask about that. also, what to look for in a high flow cat and muffler (double wall? etc i have no clue). thanks guys. [???:)]

·
Registered
406 Posts
is he gonna use stainless or not thats the good thing about some of the aftermarket compaines, is that they use stainless and it wont rust....if he was gonna use just regular steel tubing they will rust out easier, another is flanges that you get with most of the aftermarket companies, if he was just going to make you one he would probably just weld it all together as a solid piece so if it ever did have to come off you would be cutting it instead of just unbloting it

i may be wrong but im sure someone will correct me

*or get it ceramic coated

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
He said he is getting stainless...That is all I really know that you need, well and a muffler and cat. 2.5 is good size as well. I would also want to see some of his other work and see what kind of a job he does. It wont hurt anything.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
2.5 is good....magnaflow doesnt suck...take a look at trubendz latest item, with the HFC/resonator built in. looks pretty good. make sure he does mandrel bends though. im surprised he is that high....i only paid 225 for my borla system.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well does the borla come with the cat and everything? it may cover installation as well i put in the intake but this is over my head though. what should i look into in regard to a flange? i want to go header/flex pipe and bolting would certainly be easier...

and the trubendz is what i was looking at before i talked to him they want $435 shipped (2.5 SS w/ high flow cat and magnaflow muffler)... also i looked online just now borlas seem to be much more than that whered you get it?

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
oh sorry, no...u cant get the borla anymore. i was just saying as a comparison.

the flanges from the companies that make them for us are custom-made...meaning you can just bolt them up. ur guy most likely just has a generic pipe and flange, which may not match up. but he SHOULD have one that does match...or you could slot the flange a bit. either way, u dont want to have it welded on there.

and the TBZ one...u gotta call them. its not even on their site yet. its new...as in yesterday lol. its their front pipe. its a HFC connected to a resonator. could be exactly what you are looking for. call them.

or call mbrp. they may be cheaper.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
here is a pic i stole from another thread:

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
PERFECT for if u do a header...will really cut down on the noise they add!

·
Registered
596 Posts
that looks like my Vibrant reso I have on my Trubendz 2.5"... I have said that I've a Vibrant resonator in conjunction with my Magnaflow muffler and everybody seemed confused... but thanks to you YODA that is exactly (cept for name) what I have been talking about...

The hfc and additional sound damping of the resonator w/muffler really helps out in the cabin with excessive exhaust noise...I have the F2 header and I can testify to the fact of how much better it is in the cabin w/reso....jmho tho

Trubendz musta went up... I paid like $320 shipped - of course I got aluminized steel, not stainless.... but I figure if it last 8-10 yrs I should be in another car by then anyway, but one never knows.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
yeah, i am guessing it is the SS causing the price difference.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
i paid 360 shipped for my stainlesss system or less. from there

·
Registered
401 Posts
$350 seems high and even more after what he is charging you for install, plus i would of walked out the door when he said magnaflows suck and flowmasters are better. I paid under $300 for my entire stainless exhaust welded custom bent including a resonator, magnaflow muffler, and a nice tip. flowmaster FTL if you ask me

·
Registered
401 Posts
oh and i agree witht eh focussport, i order every thing i possibly can from them. I've been talkign to Ivan alot lately about different parts, he even talked me into the H&R coilovers haha. Got my clutch kit from there, intake, motor mount, etc. Can't beat focussport!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was thinking about getting a nice muffler and doing custom, but I dont know if the shop would do it properly so i went trubendz. Focussport is very popular also. my .02

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
mbrp too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
See if he is going to TIG weld it. If your doing a custom exhaust TIG is the only way to go SOOO much cleaner. All the custom exhausts I have seen that are done by exhaust shops are horrible especially my local Midas.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
whats TIG? i dont want to ask and sound stupid that i dont know

1 - 20 of 29 Posts