Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is no way im gonna dish out 300- 400 big ones for a flex-back (sucks livin' in canada shipping wise) so i had an idea.. why not just buy a flange, magnaflow muffler, some 2.5" pipe and make my own i can get everything at cost through work so it wont be any more than 100 bucks has anyone just welded in a muffler and liked it?

i know im cheap but i really cant afford it now and the car is getting up there in age i only paid 500 for it and wanna keep it on the cheap if possible and this way if i sell it i can return it to stock and keep the magnaflow for my next project lol

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im just going for sound and dont care if it lasts 2 years as long as it sounds okay

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think it just depends on how much work you want to put into it. I think it could be just what you are looking for, without dishing out a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input fellas.. only thing thats holding me back is the crimped bends id have to use...do you think it would be worth springing for the good ones or will the crimped 2.5's do the trick for a stocker

·
Registered
776 Posts
I don't know what muffler shops in Canada charge, but here in WV I got a fully welded mandrel bent 2.5 inch flex back exhaust for $150 including labor. Might be worth checking into up there. Just ask them to cut out everything from the flex back, and install new 2.5 inch.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
noone around here even knows what mandrel bends are lol let alone own a machine to make them

·
anti svt
2,731 Posts
get a mbrp they are from ontario. mine was 379 shipped to my door in sask. its a 2.5 as well. very good system. and fit is perfect as well as customer service is amazing

·
Registered
570 Posts
personally that is a great idea
i have a buddy which custom fab'd and welded up a 3 inch catback magnaflow exhaust

and my magnaflow sounds way better than most cars,(quote from people)

people think i have a SVT, OR A V8 in my car,lol

i have heard them say this as i roll by at the car shows

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so does anyone have a flex back sittin around that could tell me what bends i need or a few detailed pics that would be a big help

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
new brunswick...and im almost positive but you have me thinking ..

·
anti svt
2,731 Posts
there is no place in saskatchewan that does mandrel bends every place said that the machine cost like 500,000 or some outrageous price. there are a few places that didnt even know what mandrel bends ever are

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ive herd of the crazzy prices too and most shops around me are no more than 4 bays big lol

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
FWIW you can buy mandrel U bends in just about any diameter and have them shipped to your door fro very reasonable prices... then just measure, cut and weld them where they need to go.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I, too, am in an area where mandrel bends cannot be had save via the internet. Check Summit and Jegs.

Peace out, yo.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FWIW you can buy mandrel U bends in just about any diameter and have them shipped to your door fro very reasonable prices... then just measure, cut and weld them where they need to go.
ive been looking and cant find anywheres that will ship to canada for a good price

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
are you even aiming for a performance exhaust? or are you just replacing a rusted out one. If you dont care about performance, then get crimped bends. 2.5" pipie with crimped bends is still gonna be a big pipe on a near stock car.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts