Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets just say i had a lot of green to spend on a motor. What would my best combination of parts be. I would want it to be n/a and run on pump gas. Other than that it doesn't really matter.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
if ur gonna stay NA on pump gas, there is no need for new internals, you wont make enough hp to damage them. and if you are doing it to raise compression, then you will only be able to go to about 10.8:1 before u have to run race gas!! as for the head, go w/ a FR head. get wider valves, an awesome Ford Racing vavletrain and a good set of cams. Since you have a zetec, you won't be able to make much more than 160 whp NA w/o going racing fuel and super high staged cams!! for daily driveability, you don't want to go w/ more than a stage III cam or a stage II crower cam. of course, you need all boltons! You can always get a really high staged cam, balance the internals to push 9k rpm, but you may as well go turbo/sc!!

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks that helps i'm just getting ideas my focus is my project car/ daily driver. What if i were to bore it out to a 2.3?

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
thanks that helps i'm just getting ideas my focus is my project car/ daily driver. What if i were to bore it out to a 2.3?
You cannot bore it out to 2.3 but you can certainly stroke it but forget about it from a money standpoint. if I remember correctly, and this was a long time ago, the only kit was from some company with a waiting list a mile long. This of course does not include Tom but I am not sure if he is still offering his kit.

Since you have a zetec, you won't be able to make much more than 160 whp NA w/o going racing fuel and super high staged cams!!
Trust me when I say 170 is completely within range NA without getting into all that crap [;)]

Deck the head .0040 and get some Ford Racing stage III cams or, if you really do not mind cost, a good set of Kents. Kent will work with you on a custom grind if you have the specs you want and they know Zetecs inside and out.

Valve and a valve job will not hurt things either but will add significant cost to your project. The FR head will be sufficient without having to get you personally involved in f'ing with the valves.

Beyond that, as has already been stated, all the other bolt-ons and one damn good tune.

But if you are like me you end up doing all this and then run out of things to do and get bored [sleep]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ya, u can make 170 w/ crower III cams or even 190 w/ the crower IV cams, but forget about Daily Driveability!! mine is already kind of rough w/ crower II's. i made 164 whp. thats why i'm sayin not much past 170 w/o stalling every light!! I was running .050" decked on my FR head. i've basically maxed out an NA focus w/ Crower II cams, only thing I can do more is higher staged cams. I'm running about max compression on pump gas. check my mods in my profile.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet thanks guys like i said kind of a project car for me and i'm not necessarily familiar with the focus or any car for that matter. All you advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Get a limted slip, gut it, coilover it, and more suspension and brakes, and autoX a car like that. Fun fun!!

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
Get a limted slip, gut it, coilover it, and more suspension and brakes, and autoX a car like that. Fun fun!!

haha, one step ahead of ya!! all i need is the brake setup!!

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
yes.... yes indeed...

only way it could be better is if... it was a wagon [;)]

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
not gonna lie, that would be tight if it was a wagon!!

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
haha, awesome! what kind of power?? did u get it dyno'd?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
when i got tuned they couldnt get my torque converter to lock up, I have a funky ECU strategy. So no real numbers there, but they got the tune done.

since then i have gone MTX-75/Torsen and it feels like i gained about 10whp. lol

still no dyno, just waiting for a dyno day that I can actually go to...

So, to the OP, I have been driving this car for a year and a half the way it is, and have not regretted the modding one bit, nor have I felt the need for more engine mods. This level seems juuuust right for these cars as far as bang for the buck is concerned (all boltons, stage 2 cam and high compression w/ tune). The only thing that leaves me wanting is the power in 3rd-5th gears, its just not there. But getting wheelspin in 1st gear just from acceleration (no clutch drop) in a naturally aspirated WAGON sure is FUN!! [:D]

And i can still pack more groceries than a Ford Escape or Honda CR-V (72 cubic feet with my seats down) as well as get 33mpg at 65mph.

but if you're doing a project car........ just go turbo. I am next year. lol

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
ya, u can make 170 w/ crower III cams or even 190 w/ the crower IV cams, but forget about Daily Driveability!! mine is already kind of rough w/ crower II's. i made 164 whp. thats why i'm sayin not much past 170 w/o stalling every light!! I was running .050" decked on my FR head. i've basically maxed out an NA focus w/ Crower II cams, only thing I can do more is higher staged cams. I'm running about max compression on pump gas. check my mods in my profile.
I was decked .0040, Kents, Focus Sport head, FC 4-2-1 on a Focus Sport tune, along with everything else I can think of and at 170 even and 159lb ft...and 14.6 quarter. Idle was great, nice and lumpy, more streetable than my Suburban [hihi]

http://www.webtrendsguy.com/video/exhaust10001.wmv

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
ya, but thats maxed out totally. what lift on the cams?

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok it seems n/a is retarded to do at this point so i was trying to kinda get an idea how much money i would need to do this i dont have any lol thats why it isnt a factor...Turbo or
jrsc sounds like the way to do. I'm really thinking about doing the svt header swap this summer if i can dig up the cash.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
hmmm.... if you're that tight on cash you might as well forget about going FI anytime soon.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not really broke I'm just a college student, but yes at this time I can't FI. Being a college student sucks little income[:(] oh well I was posting this so I could get an Idea on things and start saving up. Moneny from summer jobs and what not. Hell I can't really do too much at all. I bought my car used with a steeda CAI and steeda STS and thats all i really know about the car having. When i looked at it at the dealer it had some home made POS exhaust which was a magnaflow res and an exhaust tip that was it too loud for me, so the dealer put it back to stock, my [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] should have left it and just added a muffler [rant] . Oh well to late now. Live and learn. I definitely want to do an exhaust so she sounds good.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Looks like you got some headlights too [;)]

well keep your head up, you're in college so that you dont have to worry about money later in life. It will come around... trust me on this one [;)] im a senior now and getting ready for grad school, and buying the rally brake kit in the spring. Just try to score a good part time job during school and you're golden.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts