Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had some pics of various things you may have done with the Duratec valve cover. Mine is just so boring looking in the dark gray that I wish I could do something with it. Is it possible to powdercoat these?

·
Registered
118 Posts
remove it and spray it with engine high heat enamel
what ever color you desire
just remove it carefully take count to all your removal hardware.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i think their plastic...

cosworth has a carbon fiber one.... but i wont throw the money down until i get a picture of it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
carbon fiber on an engine is gay to me!!!. i love those f2f covers but i want it in like steeda blue to match match my sivle car with everything else that color blue!!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
I thought cosworth had a cf coil cover...and I thought it wouldn't fit the focus (pretty sure it went for the caterham). a cf valve cover would be neat, but prolly would cost too much.

·
Registered
251 Posts
scottdurand said:
I was wondering if anyone had some pics of various things you may have done with the Duratec valve cover. Mine is just so boring looking in the dark gray that I wish I could do something with it. Is it possible to powdercoat these?
Yeah you can powdercoat it. I'm pretty sure It's made of cast aluminium. You could paint it with a High temperature engine paint, but powdercoating would look a bit nicer and be more durable.

·
Premium Member
21,241 Posts
Re: Re: Custom Duratec valve cover jobs

Zyghot said:
Yeah you can powdercoat it. I'm pretty sure It's made of cast aluminium. You could paint it with a High temperature engine paint, but powdercoating would look a bit nicer and be more durable.
No, it's plastic on my D20. I've had mine off several times to adjust the timing of my cams. You'll need to find a manual to take note of the valve cover tightening sequence and torque settings. The tightening sequence is important due to the plastic composition, and the non-uniform shape of the valve cover. The gasket is rubber or urethane, and probably will still be good enough to install again. The bolts do not remove from the valve cover, loosen each bolt until it moves freely up and down, some will not have very much movement, but if you feel it loosen and then tighten again as you're backing out- STOP. The threads are moving up into the insert and you could be damaging the brass insert or bolt threads. Also, vacuum the valve cover before removing it to avoid getting any foreign material inside the engine.

Feel free to PM me if you want any hints at how to get some of those clips to disconnect. ALL the wire connector clips on the Focus will slide out WITHOUT FORCE if properly unclipped. I'm going to Miami, so I might be slow to respond. I'll have my computer with me, and Netzero permitting, I'll be online.

FYI: Powdercoating is simply paint. Due to new EPA regulations, now a great many paints and coatings are applied with solvents that are environmentally friendly. Do some research online if you're interested, but powdercoating is not some new space age treatment.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
sinse its plastic, i wonder if fusion paint will be able to handle the temperatures under the hood. i need to go check the can we have in the garage out for specs on temps

·
Registered
714 Posts
it is a cast aluminum valve cover on the D23.....the only thing i can think of would be to powdercoat it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yellow-ZX3 said:
it is a cast aluminum valve cover on the D23.....the only thing i can think of would be to powdercoat it.
Well I didn't know it was plastic on the D20. I have the D23 so mine is cast aluminium. Well I guess high temp paint can do the trick then.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The 05- 06 has a plastic/ composite cover. The cosworth is an engine cover, it doesn't replace anything

·
Registered
409 Posts
OK, what about taking an aluminum D23 cover, polishing it, clear powder coating it and fitting it to my D20?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
might not work... different displacement. not sure if that affects the size of the valve cover

·
Registered
251 Posts
Fredness said:
OK, what about taking an aluminum D23 cover, polishing it, clear powder coating it and fitting it to my D20?
As long as the bolt pattern is the same on both valve covers it should bolt up fine. You see the engine displacement doesn't really have anything to do with the top of the head. So just cause it's coming off a bigger engine, doesn't neceserally mean that it's not gonna fit.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well, the heads are intercchangeable (according to the FRPP catalog), so I was hoping someone has already done this.

OK, gotta talk to my parts people....

·
Registered
930 Posts
They should work. The head is a different casting, but the valve cover should be the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts