Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Dash-mat the other day.....$33. And I did a few mods to it before I installed it today. There are several variations of these things, but the only one I found for my '06 was the base carpeted model. It was virtually a perfect fit.....I only need to enlarge the pass side vent hole slightly. But before I installed it, I did a few mods to make it more functional

This is a very light-weight carpet. And I would like for it to mute some engine noises. Here's what I did....a picture of the back-side covered with "roofer's tape" from Home Depot....

Then to stiffen the thing, and cover the roofer's tape in case the adhesive might touch the dash, I covered the tape with sticky-back felt pieces from a craft store......

Now this mat is about 4x as heavy as stock, and is sort of like the custom molded dash mat that was unavailable for the Focus. When you place the mat on the dash, you press down on it and the Roofer's tape conforms to the exact shape of the dash, and holds it's new shape. Plus....it will now just sit on the dash without any velcro. Does it quiet down the engine....yeah, somewhat. This latest mod is part of my on-going noise reduction project. When I'm finished, I should own the quietest Focus ever.....one that's still running anyway. [;)]

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
looks good but i woulda gone with something a bit finer like a micro fiber or something... still sweet.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had carpeted dash pads on other cars.....they are durable. The pad on my P/U has been on there for 15 years, and hasn't even faded. Other materials might not do so good, since this car gets parked outside in the sun all the time. As a noise blocker, this is a cheap mod.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
i suppose, i just figured something smoother would look cleaner on the dash, nice and smooth!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
no offense, but i hate that.... but whatever makes you happy, that's the way that it is, so cool.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It's a niche mod. I think it looks great, but not cool. Not something I'd do on my own, but definitely not something I'd knock on someone else's car. Great work, good write-up.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it's not for everybody, that's for sure. But there is at least one thing about dash-mats that's not obvious.....

Ever notice how you have to clean off the inside of the windshield.....it gets a film on it all the time. This is really from the plastic dash itself. In sunlight/heat, the plastic emits fumes that usually end up on the windshield. Happens to most cars that use plastic for the dash. My Focus certainly does it, without any smokers allowed into the car, using a DIY cabin air filter, and virtually never driving with the windows down.

These mats don't eliminate the problem......but help out quite a bit. Hopefully my windshield will remain cleaner much longer. [thumb]

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Yeah, it's not for everybody, that's for sure. But there is at least one thing about dash-mats that's not obvious.....

Ever notice how you have to clean off the inside of the windshield.....it gets a film on it all the time. This is really from the plastic dash itself. In sunlight/heat, the plastic emits fumes that usually end up on the windshield. Happens to most cars that use plastic for the dash. My Focus certainly does it, without any smokers allowed into the car, using a DIY cabin air filter, and virtually never driving with the windows down.

These mats don't eliminate the problem......but help out quite a bit. Hopefully my windshield will remain cleaner much longer. [thumb]
dude, i had no idea... is that toxic, breathing all that in???

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^^^Not that I know about. If it were toxic, the EPA would be all over it.....it's probably more of a nuisance. In case anyone doesn't believe this, look at your side windows. They need to be cleaned also from time to time, but the windshield gets this film on it within a week or less of a thorough cleaning, in the summer. The Focus is bad because of the large surface area of plastic.....

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
eh.... driving fast with the windows down and a dirty windshield is what its all about. lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
dude, i had no idea... is that toxic, breathing all that in???
Yes it is toxic, but you will not get enough in your system to cause a concern. Ever wonder what the new car smell is? Or hear of people getting sick in brand new buildings? These are all forms of "off-gases" all plastic produces a gas after bring processed. Baking the plastic in sun must just keep the process going.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I can truthfully state that the inside of my windshield no longer gets a film on it. I was cleaning the windshield every few weeks or so......no longer. The difference with this mat in place is amazing. Of course I have that layer of aluminum foil added to mine......which probably helps the dash stay cooler.

It was $30 well spent.....and worth a try. [:)]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts