Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there created a cutsom CAI?
I am looking for suggestions of what kind of piping would work well. And/or MAF mounting ideas.

Scott

·
Banned
171 Posts
This is my setup, It uses mainly OEM Ford parts from different applications. It's not quite a true CAI yet because it's not shielded but it is ducted.

The filter and filter base are late model Mustang GT parts.

The tubing and boots are turbodiesel intercooler parts.

The adapter plate for the MAF housing is home made from 1/8 in aluminum plate.

This setup does not require altering any wiring but you do need to move the battery if you want the filter in this location.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of something that is similar to a standard shorty intake but, it has the advantages of a cold air intake. This would be done by 2 seperate pipes.

One being the intake itself and the other redirecting cool air from outside the engine bay to a location near the air filter. This setup would also eliminate aqua lock.

The only problem I see at this time is a potential of the engine bay becoming dirty because of the unfiltered redirected outside air.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Scott

H

·
0 Posts
No pics yet. But I bought an Cosmo Racing regular Zetec intake pipe on ebay and hacked 3" between the PCV tube input and the maf housing and coupled those together and hacked another 1" after the maf, and put a generic cone filter on it.

I moved the battery 90 degrees after completely removing the airbox and brackets below it. The battery box was unbolted and some of the plastic from underneath the box was shaved to let the box rest above the tranny/motor mount.

This allowed for the air filter to be positioned right behind the grille.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats nice work, but wont the air filter be in the direct path of the oncomming airflow through tthe grille.
I would install it in a wheel well out of the direct path of airborn debris.
You could probubly instyall a heat shield that would deflect some of the larger particulate, on your setup.

Scott

·
Registered
505 Posts
Actually I dont have any issues with that. Its sitting right behind the head light so its protected. I am thinking about some kind heat shield with a flex tube though, because its sits near the fans, and rad. fans= hot air.

·
Banned
171 Posts
I ran a section of the same 3 in tubing that my intake tube is made of from the drivers side of the lower grille to the area just below the filter to bring some dirct fresh air to the intake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts