Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I bought my first of a few SVT stuff last year a upper grille.

Forget the cheesy driveway pose, but got it on the next day.

I searched and searched for a SVT front bumper and either I didn't have the money, or a couldn't afford it when I did. So I decided to add OEM fogs and I'll just make me a lower SVT grille so the front matches.

I bought a set of fogs off member 02ztsian.

I bought a brand new SVT lower from Rockauto.com

Then all I needed was a OEM ZX grille to locate the fogs and to help locate the soon to be hacked SVT grille. I found one a guy was willing to ship me from cali for cheap but rent was due so I held off for a week. Then I saw a very totaled focus in a thread while searching the forums one night. I saw the lower grille was just hanging on and appeared to be in good shape, so I PM'd the owner and low and behold it survived the wreck in good shape! He gave it to me for the price of shipping. Thank you again redzx!

I got the grille in today and it's in way better shape than I was expecting from his pictures he sent me. The only thing that is broke in the little plastic thing on the back side of the driver side all tabs are there and intact.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok couple questions has anyone else done this? I've seen it done before but not in a long time. I'm thinking about just cutting out the three middle bars and using the outside from to give it a better fit and finish. Anyone know where I can buy a cheap plastic welder?

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
I remember seeing that Focus that was wrecked on here. Good luck and your car looks good so far!

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks like you just cut it square and attach it somehow (im thinking zipties)
I want it to look better than that I don't like the hacked sides I want it to looked finished. Bare with me on these quick mspaint photos.

I want to cut out the three bars and leave the outside frame.

Then cut the svt to fit inside so it has a better finished look. Then the grille will fit in like it spose to from the factory with the tabs.

·
le kittens meow
1,747 Posts
When i did it i hacked the ends off the svt the same length as the Inner stock grille, then cut the ends off the stock grill for the fogs, and then glued the fogs onto the ends of the honeycomb points, then fit it into the lower bumper. I used self tapping screws, on on each end to hold it into the bumper, then i just put the fogs in there, and ziptied a black ziptie around the center little post in the stock bumper.
Took me about 2 hours.

EDIT: i got my instructions from talking to Ehanock and Ncellidos, the people whos picture you used up there to show what you meant^^
x2 EDIT: you idea looks solid. I would just lay them over eachother, and use small seraded knife or sawzaw blade to cut it to the exact size, then use glue to hold it in the surround

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When i did it i hacked the ends off the svt the same length as the Inner stock grille, then cut the ends off the stock grill for the fogs, and then glued the fogs onto the ends of the honeycomb points, then fit it into the lower bumper. I used self tapping screws, on on each end to hold it into the bumper, then i just put the fogs in there, and ziptied a black ziptie around the center little post in the stock bumper.
Took me about 2 hours.

EDIT: i got my instructions from talking to Ehanock and Ncellidos, the people whos picture you used up there to show what you meant^^
Ok I see what your saying. I was thinking about just cutting the fog ends at the sides of the square. Since the svt already has a frame around it I could just finish off the sides with the other grille. I'm gonna get on this saturday so we'll see how this works out. Thanks for the info.

·
le kittens meow
1,747 Posts
Ok I see what your saying. I was thinking about just cutting the fog ends at the sides of the square. Since the svt already has a frame around it I could just finish off the sides with the other grille. I'm gonna get on this saturday so we'll see how this works out. Thanks for the info.
Do this! That is the easiest way! And like you said, it will look finished like it suppose to be like that. So your going to use the left and right outline on the stock grill to glue it to the end of the svt grill after its cut right? sounds like a solid plan to me

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good idea guys. it's gonna look good inside the stock grille frame. post pics when finished [thumb]
that makes me want to find an SVT lower >:)
Rockauto.com they sell it brand new cheaper than you will find it from any member on here.

Do this! That is the easiest way! And like you said, it will look finished like it suppose to be like that. So your going to use the left and right outline on the stock grill to glue it to the end of the svt grill after its cut right? sounds like a solid plan to me
Yes exactly. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
good idea, sounds almost as tricky as the upper ive been working on for months now. basically the same concept hollowed out the upper and using a honeycomb lower to fill it. interested to see how you attach it so I get some fresh ideas lol

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
u could also get the euro lower grille too. i need to find a picture of my car. i bought it off ebay uk when i was home for a month and then put it in my hand luggage.

·
Wales!!
10,218 Posts
pics of my euro lower grille...

i think natasha/e has a picture of both the cars side by side, but heres a picture of when both cars were mostly stock...

i miss my blue svt

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've seen those it crossed my mind but I was worried it wouldn't fit right. It looks good but it doesn't match the honey comb quite right. Thanks for posting the pics though now that I see how it fits, if I want to go euro later down the road.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Update: Got it close to being done still need to wire up the lights and adhere everything together so I'll have more progress later.

Before: Got everything gathered up.

I hacked the ends of the OEM fog grille off but I left enough to give me something to work with.

Then I cut the three bars out of the inside just leaving the outside frame.

Here's what I was left with after.

I put the lights in place so I could test fit the SVT lower and measure up my cut lines.

I took some wire snippers and cut off along where I wanted the grille to meet up with the fogs.

What I was left with.

I test fitted again and trimmed as needed till it met up with the fogs and it fit in the grille space
properly.

End result.

Left over stuff.

Finished for now till I have more time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts