Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had some clinking you can say while acceleration. Thought was the tranny but nothing. Took it in to various shops and could not identify the problem. Some said it might be tranny noise or a bad axle. Anyway. I took my car to a oil change after around 1400 mile trip to Napa Valley from LA. Did the oil change and all was good. This was in the morning. Around 4 PM I needed to head out and got into my car and got the engine light on. I paniced. I took it to the oil change place and they told me that injector #2 was malfuncioning and also some vacum was lost. Also the car had a tad ruffer idle then normal while slowing down and while with A/C on. I went to the dealer and on the way there the damn light went away. I came back home and all good. Again had to take a small trip and light came back. I was like thats it. I took it in and they did a diagnostic and nice of them they did not charge me for the service checkout. But told me that only was a code as if I had the gas tank open, and the clicking noise is DETONATION. They think is the gas I use, but that is odd since I always use the same thing, Shell, Mobil or Chevron. What could it be? I got some LUCAS fuel injector cleaner and next will put some ocatane boost with 91 only for now to see if it goes away. I really think is something else.

Does this sound right, or I should brace myself for some major dinero donations?

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
Its hard to say , Deto you will only here under load (giving gas) the harder the load the more you should hear it and this will lead to broken rods , cracked pistons , Etc.

Change where you get fuel a few times , see if you can find some higher octane for 1 tank and see if it goes away then comes back getting it where you normaly do

Deto to me is very obvious it sounds like a few small stones in a soda can being shaken lightly

Tom

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the CEL on today in the morning. Took it in right away and they told me is not the injectors, but is the secondary air intake system. They said is something when the car is cold and is used to keep the air warmer. Something with emissions.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
sounds to me like a vacuum leak somewhere.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah... but where and it only does it when is cold. They could not duplicate it when the car was hot or it did not need the use of that system. They say is for the emission so when first started to not pollute and try to keep the cat warm or something like that...

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
maybe your egr valve is stuck open

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK.. more news... MY PCM is getting changed and my cat too. Hope that will fix my problems

·
Registered
87 Posts
Vacuum leak x3. I have seen more in the last few years than I can remember. If it's a small one, it will act up when the vehicle is cold. When the vehicle warms up, it will usually go away. If it's big enough, it could set a lean DTC. Do you know what DTC your car had stored?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do not know... but it did have some issues when you start the car for about 15 seconds and kinda loss of power over all when in first gear. They also will replace the cat since that is what I think make the noise. Oh well... FUN FUN FUN(sarcasm)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FINAL UPDATE: the PCM, exhaust manifold, Cat, keys and few other small items were changed. Cost of 2100 plus 480 labor. Thank god for the warranty. Car runs good, not more pinging(was the cat) but still some vibration from the engine mounts i would assume.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts