Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the 05-07 still in the first generation class?

I thought all the first get had the zetec engine different front end. 05-07 has the duratec and the different front end and suspension?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think its cause the body is technically the same. well the frame is. you can swap all the parts over I believe.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So only half the car was changed

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
I've wondered this as well. I am part of a Rnager forum, and they consider the 83-88 gen1 and 89-92 gen2. Even though the only differences was the "facelift" hood, fenders, grill, headlights.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i would consider all the stuff they changed including the engine a pretty big change. oh well.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
eh, i think we are basing the gens off of the frame. When the frame changes, then we call it a new gen. But the truth is, if you strip down any focus 00-07, and leave just the frame, they are identical.

funny enough, alot of parts from the 08-11 focus are compatible with the 00-07 models too.

Also, the 2.3 duratec was available in 2003 IIRC.

·
Hmmmmm
3,706 Posts
the 2012 seems to have the same frame too. can someone say 5 lug swap?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah i like those newer 5 star 5 lug wheels on the new ones.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
the 2012 seems to have the same frame too. can someone say 5 lug swap?
The rear Control Blade suspension is still the same, so it stands to reason this would be quite feasible, though I have no clue how easy it would be. You should do it first.[thumb]

I'm in the school of thought that calls the 05-07 "Gen. 1.5" as well.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
00-04 MK1, 05-07 MK1.5, 08-11 MK2, 12-? MK3.

Mazda 3's are closer to MK1's. I read around here the rear disc and 5 lug are a direct swap, and the fronts require Mazda 3 LCA, Front Shocks, spindles, and the outer CV Shafts.

·
Registered
621 Posts
It is the same as the 00-04 on my 05. I'm running svt suspention on my sedan :). I'm tempted to get the Mach headlights and svt bumper and just get a new hood and fenders

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
If you swap 2012 front you have to swap it all including the outer cv shaft. I had wondered about the Mazda 3 stuff. Wonder how hard it would be to swap over the 3s front to the 2000zx3? Then of course there is the rear. Especially since there is no longer a rear SVT kit unless you buy used one.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah i would consider all the stuff they changed including the engine a pretty big change. oh well.
Exactly as Ford intended. This is the whole design intent of a refresh -- to have improve the vehicle sales with the smallest investment possible to make the biggest impression -- hence the emphasis on sheet metal changes.

The engine wasn't so much change as... an elimination of a host of engine options.

There's an interesting brochure Ford put out that elaborates on the exact changes made in 2005.

Still... a refresh.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Rear Control Blade suspension=win win!

The rear Control Blade suspension is still the same, so it stands to reason this would be quite feasible, though I have no clue how easy it would be. You should do it first.[thumb]

I'm in the school of thought that calls the 05-07 "Gen. 1.5" as well.
On a different note, it the rear Control Blade suspension that make these car's handle like they do & the firm steering rack too. Work's great on my GEN. 1.5 model!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Exactly as Ford intended. This is the whole design intent of a refresh -- to have improve the vehicle sales with the smallest investment possible to make the biggest impression -- hence the emphasis on sheet metal changes.

The engine wasn't so much change as... an elimination of a host of engine options.

There's an interesting brochure Ford put out that elaborates on the exact changes made in 2005.

Still... a refresh.
What do you mean not a change? Its not even mounted in the car the same as the zetec

I guess it was easy they just had to put the focus look around the mazda 3 frame?

But just changing an engine requires alot of stuff i would think? The motor faces a different way and everything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts