Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a brand new 2014 Focus SE Hatchback. I love it; it looks awesome! I need to figure-out how to post pictures. Now that I've got that out of my system, I have a weight question. When I purchased the vehicle- I signed a paper that stated the weight was 2,855. I asked if that was the curb weight, and the guy told me that's how much the vehicle weighed when it arrived.

Is this a dry weight? I looked up the curb weight on the internet, and it says it's 2,920.

Can anybody explain this? Thanks

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
it might be dry weight or it could be the actual weight. i doubt every mk3 focus made weighs the exact same down to the pound. Welcome to FF, glad you like your car! is it a DCT or 5sp?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I just purchased a brand new 2014 Focus SE Hatchback. I love it; it looks awesome! I need to figure-out how to post pictures. Now that I've got that out of my system, I have a weight question. When I purchased the vehicle- I signed a paper that stated the weight was 2,855. I asked if that was the curb weight, and the guy told me that's how much the vehicle weighed when it arrived.

Is this a dry weight? I looked up the curb weight on the internet, and it says it's 2,920.

More than likely they are going based on the shipping weight listed on the invoice, which is the vehicle weight with a minimal level of fluids needed to ship the car.

http://ateupwithmotor.com/terms-technology-definitions/curb-weight-shipping-weight/

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it might be dry weight or it could be the actual weight. i doubt every mk3 focus made weighs the exact same down to the pound. Welcome to FF, glad you like your car! is it a DCT or 5sp?
Thanks! I've read some of your posts; your car set-up sounds nice. If it was up to me, I'd be driving a FiST, or FoST... I'm married... so I have the DCT :p. I prefer stick, but would have purchased an ST if they made it in auto. But, I'm happy with the SE. My wife has been wanting to get a corolla for a long time, but I finally convinced her otherwise :). I dodged a bullet! :D

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Yeah if i could do it again i probably would have gotten a FiST or at least gotten my mk3 with the stick. I like the DCT and i have had no problems with it but its just not as fun as a stick. the car is great though. Handles really well.

I'm liking the set up i have so far! hopefully i'll get to put a little more money into it over the next couple months. i want to upgrade the suspension with some stiffer dampers and springs.

if you want some good cheap mods though, some of the stuff i did will make a huge difference, most noteably the rear sway bar, rear motor mount insert and drop in filter. you can buy all of that for $200 and it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah if i could do it again i probably would have gotten a FiST or at least gotten my mk3 with the stick. I like the DCT and i have had no problems with it but its just not as fun as a stick. the car is great though. Handles really well.

I'm liking the set up i have so far! hopefully i'll get to put a little more money into it over the next couple months. i want to upgrade the suspension with some stiffer dampers and springs.

if you want some good cheap mods though, some of the stuff i did will make a huge difference, most noteably the rear sway bar, rear motor mount insert and drop in filter. you can buy all of that for $200 and it makes a big difference.
I could get all 3 of those items for $200, eh?! That's cheap! Would these mods void the warranty? Also, I would probably pass on the RMM just because my wife drives it(as I purchased it mainly for her alone), and she has mentioned how she loves the quiet, smooth ride. Maybe she wouldn't like the vibrations?

I love the idea of a rear sway bar. And does a drop-in filter make a strong difference in HP gain, or does it just mainly make it sound cool under throttle? And what is a snorkel delete, if I may?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
yeah the rear sway bar is $130 the motor mount insert is $13 and the filter is $60. i guess it would be a littel over $200.

the rear sway bar is awesome, probably the best cheap mod you can do.

I didnt replace the whole mount, i just did the insert. I dont really notice and extra vibration but i have had it in now for a couple weeks. you will notice it right at first. makes a noticable difference in the way the car feels though and it's cheap.
http://www.fswerks.com/collections/...urethane-oe-mount-insert-ford-focus-2012-2014

as for the filter, definitely adds power and improves throtltle response. If you get the open ended type it will be a lot louder then stock but you can get closed ended filters that are not nearly as loud.

the snorkel delete basically just eliminates a restrictive breather piece on the front of the car under the plastic cover. it takes like 5 minutes to take off and helps the filter breath better. tons of info in this thread,

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297795

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah the rear sway bar is $130 the motor mount insert is $13 and the filter is $60. i guess it would be a littel over $200.

the rear sway bar is awesome, probably the best cheap mod you can do.

I didnt replace the whole mount, i just did the insert. I dont really notice and extra vibration but i have had it in now for a couple weeks. you will notice it right at first. makes a noticable difference in the way the car feels though and it's cheap.
http://www.fswerks.com/collections/...urethane-oe-mount-insert-ford-focus-2012-2014

as for the filter, definitely adds power and improves throtltle response. If you get the open ended type it will be a lot louder then stock but you can get closed ended filters that are not nearly as loud.

the snorkel delete basically just eliminates a restrictive breather piece on the front of the car under the plastic cover. it takes like 5 minutes to take off and helps the filter breath better. tons of info in this thread,

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297795
Thanks for taking your time to explain all this, I really appreciate it! It sounds like I will have to wait until the warranty runs out before I mod. I don't know how I could explain to my wife that I ruined our warranty. Surely I could put in a drop-in filter without a void, right?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
you could do all 3 of those things with out voiding the warranty. honestly the only things i could see voiding your warranty that are available for this car is a header because it removes the CAT and a canned tune because it permintly changes your ecu. the drop in filter and bolt on parts shouldnt void your warranty.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you could do all 3 of those things with out voiding the warranty. honestly the only things i could see voiding your warranty that are available for this car is a header because it removes the CAT and a canned tune because it permintly changes your ecu. the drop in filter and bolt on parts shouldnt void your warranty.
That's great news! Thank you!!! I'm going to request these mods for my B-day coming up. PS - does a non-canned tune void a warranty?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Well it depends, many will argue this. I went with the tune from Focus power which is a custom tune using the Xcal4. It gives you the option to flash back to stock and when Tom does the tune he does not permintly alter the ecu so as long as you flash it back to stock before taking into the dealer, then no it should not void your warranty. Tom says he has never had someones warranty voided due to his tune. BUT if you are worried about your warranty, i would recommend just sticking to the bolt on mods until the warranty is up and then getting a tune.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Well it depends, many will argue this. I went with the tune from Focus power which is a custom tune using the Xcal4. It gives you the option to flash back to stock and when Tom does the tune he does not permintly alter the ecu so as long as you flash it back to stock before taking into the dealer, then no it should not void your warranty. Tom says he has never had someones warranty voided due to his tune. BUT if you are worried about your warranty, i would recommend just sticking to the bolt on mods until the warranty is up and then getting a tune.
You can uninstall the tune, but every time you reprogram the computer it leaves a trace. You might believe Tom that it's "restored" as if it had never been flashed, but that's not possible, every thing you do to the PCM is recorded in some way.

The fact that the calibration code may not have been changed is meaningless given the fact that the codes change occasionally when there is a need to reprogram the PCM for an update.

It's not likely that your local dealer would even dig into the PCM unless you have an issue related to the engine, but if they do there's a good chance that it will be discovered that the PCM was tuned, even if it may resort in either a field engineer being sent out or the pcm/ data sent back to Ford.

Tuning the car is something you have to go into knowing you may void your warranty in relation to the engine and transmission. If one is not comfortable with this then don't tune until you don't have any warranty remaining.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again! I'm going to purchase an air filter soon. Would you go with a K&N, or would there be a better choice?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Well i think it depends on noise and then also if you want oil or dry. K&N makes a closed end, oiled filter. I have the Green filter drop in which i like but it's open eneded so you can really hear it. i believe AEM offers a closed ended dry filter, so no oil. Honestly i think all the drop in filters are pretty much the same. just get a good name brand one. Just remember if you go open end you are going to hear it a lot.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i think it depends on noise and then also if you want oil or dry. K&N makes a closed end, oiled filter. I have the Green filter drop in which i like but it's open eneded so you can really hear it. i believe AEM offers a closed ended dry filter, so no oil. Honestly i think all the drop in filters are pretty much the same. just get a good name brand one. Just remember if you go open end you are going to hear it a lot.
Thanks again!

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts

In case you wondered... yes the MK3 hatchback is heavy!

I wished it was more around the lower 2000 lbs mark but I guess with all the reinforced frame structure (compared to the other gen [1]) they couldn't shave more weight!

It's possible since my old time mk3 '96 golf 1.8L curb was around 2100lbs car is approx. the same size.

TLDR; MK3 is heavy but handle it's weight well!!

[1]
The all-new Focus chassis is 30 percent stiffer. It uses a crash structure designed for the larger Taurus. More than 55 percent is high-strength steels, including Boron B-pillars and front beam, and a decoupling powertrain cradle to keep the engine out of the cabin in a head-on crash.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In case you wondered... yes the MK3 hatchback is heavy!

I wished it was more around the lower 2000 lbs mark but I guess with all the reinforced frame structure (compared to the other gen [1]) they couldn't shave more weight!

It's possible since my old time mk3 '96 golf 1.8L curb was around 2100lbs car is approx. the same size.

TLDR; MK3 is heavy but handle it's weight well!!

[1]
Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts