Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 ford focus 4 door that is done. I only runs on 3 cylinders so I had to buy a new one for work. The 2003 is loaded and has cruise control on the steering wheel.

I bought a 2007 2 door hatchback that is barebone. No power anything and I found out after I bought it that it has no cruise control. I see there are aftermarkt ones out there but I had another Idea.

Can I take the steering wheel off of the 2003 that has cruise on it and use it on the my 2007 with no cruise I just bought ? I know there are other parts to order to get it to work but was a thought I had. I just want cruise in my 2007 and thought might be cheaper doing it this way..

Any thought would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You can find old threads on adding cruise here in the MkI section (moved it for you).

IF your '03 had a duratec (unlikely in IA) it MIGHT be fairly close for parts - there was a fairly large change for '05-'07 beyond the engine change so I'm not too sure how close they are.

Same year range & engine it'd still need the computer/actuator and all the wiring, not just the wheel - for models before '08 when electronic throttle was introduced.

Post '08 it's easier, wheel & programming will do it - not the case for yours.

Post up the actual model you're trying to lift parts from, and some might be able to tell how similar/different they are from stock for '07.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Just a quick rundown on what you will need:
Steering wheel with CC controls
Clockspring
CC module
Wiring diagrams on how to wire it all in (I think there are 7 wires on the CC module and 6 on the clockspring)
Ability to solder
Patience
As far as swapping between Gen 1 and 1.5-maybe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts