Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 zx3 5spd with 60k miles. When I bought the car cruise control
would work at times, but now I push the buttons and nothing.

Any ideas? I was thinking the switch might be bad, but then would it be the
on/off switch..or the set/accel/coast switch? or something else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I believe there is a fuse for that too. Check it first. Then look under the dash at the pedals and make sure you didn't kick one of the plunger sensors and damage it or move it out of place. Moving them out of adjustment or damaging them will cause the cruise not to engage and is a very, very common thing to happen. Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
If checking the fuse and brake pedal plunger switch doesn't give you any joy, a not uncommon problem is the cruise control cable becoming unattached at the throttle body end. Often when people work on the throttle body, they do not snap the cable end into the holding socket firmly enough and it pops out.

Do you get the dash light which indicates cruise is turned on?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If checking the fuse and brake pedal plunger switch doesn't give you any joy, a not uncommon problem is the cruise control cable becoming unattached at the throttle body end. Often when people work on the throttle body, they do not snap the cable end into the holding socket firmly enough and it pops out.

Do you get the dash light which indicates cruise is turned on?
Yea, when it has engauged(rarely..random) the light does come on.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> Yea, when it has engauged(rarely..random) the light does come on.

If you don't get the light every time you try to use it, then it's probably not a loose or disconnected cable. The symptom of a disconnected cable is that the light works normally, but the cruise control never works.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I got working thanks to your suggestions. I checked all the switches under the pedals..and there didn't appear to be any damaged ones, but I disconnected..and reconnected each one then went for a test drive. I think my clutch pedal may need to be reset closer to the switch, because if I lifted the pedal with my foot..to the switch..it engauged.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I say you give some rep to Dtecgrl for that....
I believe there is a fuse for that too. Check it first. Then look under the dash at the pedals and make sure you didn't kick one of the plunger sensors and damage it or move it out of place. Moving them out of adjustment or damaging them will cause the cruise not to engage and is a very, very common thing to happen. Let me know what you find.
Here's REP dtecgrl[pray]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts