Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies in advance, if this subject has been covered. I tried to search for it in "2012 - Third Gen" forum, but with no results.

For the 2012 S model, cruise control is not available from Ford (obviously for marketing reasons). My sense is that after-sales fitment of cruise, thru Ford is not available, as the PCM's program is arranged / configured thru the VIN number; VIN numbers of S models would not have any cruise control function enabled. Someone, please confirm that cruise addition, thru a Ford dealer, is NOT avail.

Given this, has anyone undertaken the addition of cruise to their S model yet? Has anyone figured out whether there are several vendors of cruise control, that offer cruise for this vehicle?

I am very particular about how agressively, or passively the cruise control attempts to get to the setpoint; over-zealous pursuit of the setpoint can mean a bunch of throttle closures / fuel injection shut-offs -- that can make for non-smooth action... By comparison, too lazy of a pursuit of that setpoint, means roadspeed can vary too much from the intended setpoint.

Anyone have any ideas on cruise that is tunable, in this regard?

Eurofordfan

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The S model has some features (or lack of features) that make it desirable to me:

i) lack of an armrest (accordingly, does not interfere with shifting the manual transmission);

ii) 195 / 65 - 15 tires, which, compared to the 215 / ?? - 16 tires (on comparable steel wheels -- give a less bulbous / more taut (though taller) sidewall - for quicker turn-in; and

iii) lower cost car, which allows me to add the sport springs / matched sport struts that I want, plus the 17" X 8" aftermarket alloy wheels (and, say, 205 section summer-rubber tires) giving me the "sport" that I want.

Also, I would install the cruise control, myself.

Eurofordfan...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Here in USA, Cruise is not standard on the SE. Also, on 2008-11, cruise can be added aftermarket or at dealer. Have to check with dealer service for '12 models.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In Canada, cruise is not standard on the SE (for 2012); it is only available with a package, on the SE. On the S, it is not available, at all.

I rather doubt a dealership would be able to reprogram the PCM, to be able to enable the cruise function (which undoubtedly is just a matter of a software on / off switch being enabled)... i.e. if the necessary switches, lights, etc were added. I suspect it would only be possible, as strictly aftermarket.

Others, do you know?

·
Registered
676 Posts
On my '09, dealer swapped steering wheel to one with the cruise buttons, and did 're-programming'. Also, when I test drove a 2012, dealer said they could add cruise to an SE. But I can't say 100% that it can be added to base S.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jumping up to the SE w/cruise upped the price of the vehicle at least $2000.
I agree, but also, the S model appears to NOT have cancellable TCS -- 'cause it does not have any steering wheel controls, and it has a much simpler message centre...

The value leader, though, certainly is an S model. Plus it does not have a centre armrest, that to some extent, fouls my elbow when shifting gears.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Well, can say that the S is "lighter for better performance". Also, can be a good baseline for someone [with lots of $] to test modifications [mods]

·
Registered
138 Posts
I agree, but also, the S model appears to NOT have cancellable TCS -- 'cause it does not have any steering wheel controls, and it has a much simpler message centre...

The value leader, though, certainly is an S model. Plus it does not have a centre armrest, that to some extent, fouls my elbow when shifting gears.
I don't know if you've driven one yet, but the armrest is set pretty far back and doesn't really interfere with shifting. It's so far back that you can't reach the steering wheel while you're elbow is resting on it (which bothers some people). But I've found it to be well-placed for shifting, if not for steering.

·
Registered
89 Posts
ii) 195 / 65 - 15 tires, which, compared to the 215 / ?? - 16 tires (on comparable steel wheels -- give a less bulbous / more taut (though taller) sidewall - for quicker turn-in; and

Wouldn't a taller sidewall, with more given flex offer a slower turn in than one with a stiffer, shorter sidewall? Just a thought.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dunno. What I do know is I bought an SE just for access, to cruise control. Only feature I had to have this time arround.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My dealership says they can install cruise on my new 2012 Focus S, but it will cost over $1200. Does anyone know of someone that installs cruise control aftermarket and doesn't charge dealership prices? Thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Wouldn't a taller sidewall, with more given flex offer a slower turn in than one with a stiffer, shorter sidewall? Just a thought.
Yes, but in this case, the narrower 195 section size tire (on a 6" wide rim) versus the 20mm wider 215 tire (on either 6 or 6.5" wide rims) appears noticeably more bulbous... and therefore more taut, of a turn-in.

What I really want to do is take the steel wheel centres from the rims, and put 'em on 15 X 7 "hoops" so that the rims are 1" wider. I would keep the ET exactly the same as stock, and I would put on 195 section / same profile as stock summer / sticky tires... for an entertaining but not super-high traction limit. Plus all of this would be absolutely no-bling -- with satin black lugs, rims, brake drum / greasecap / etc.. etc...

With steel wheels, they get heavy pretty quickly. 16" x 6 steel would be heavier, I think, than 15 X 7...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dealership says they can install cruise on my new 2012 Focus S, but it will cost over $1200. Does anyone know of someone that installs cruise control aftermarket and doesn't charge dealership prices? Thanks.
Are they talking about FORD OEM cruise, or aftermarket cruise?

I think the latter. I don't think FoMoCo would support flashing an S model car with the PCM program of and SE or above...???

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are they talking about FORD OEM cruise, or aftermarket cruise?

I think the latter. I don't think FoMoCo would support flashing an S model car with the PCM program of and SE or above...???
I was thinking the former, but I could be wrong. I would think making the S adaptable for the Ford cruise would be a good idea. I'm sure there are more people like me that couldn't spend an extra several grand on the SE, but still want cruise.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts