Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Focus ZX5. Most of the third brake lights were burned out so I tried to change them and found that the housing was melted! I ordered an aftermarket LED brake light and installed it and it worked just fine. However, since that changeover, my cruise control doesn't work. No light come on, no nothing.

I've checked all the fuses and they are fine. I've check the brake pedal and it returns fine. All I can think of is that there's not enough resistance with the LED brake lights.

The car has an auto trans.

Has anyone ever had this problem or heard of it? I threw the old light assembly away or I'd put it back and see if that works. Before I go out and buy an OEM assembly, I'm curious as to your thoughts.

HELP!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It's possible, the cruise turns off when the brake lights are activated, so the system IS interrelated.

I'd try unhooking the NEW brake light first, just to see if things work as they should with that out of the system....

(No wiring diagram handy, so I'm not sure how it's wired up...)

IF the silly electronics want to see a draw on the brake circuit, AND the adapter in the new light to run the low draw LED's draws a bit of current even when NOT turned on, it COULD turn the cruise off....

On Manual models, it's usually the clutch safety switch that causes this issue when the pedal doesn't return enough to trip the switch...

PROBABLY coincidental, and the switch at the brake pedal is the most likely culprit...

I WISH the car had an "on" light, not just an "engaged" light, so you could check this out easier....

Luck!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Check your hatch boot also. I've also read about the LED/cruise problem. Cruise won't activate if the bulbs are out or low voltage (LED).

Hatch boot potential problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You what gets me about the low voltage deal, Terry, is that only two of the original bulbs were lit as the others melted the assembly. I know the voltage is still running through, though, as it should be with the LED.

How do these kids customize their cars with all LED lights?

I'll check k out your suggestions when I get home. Thanks.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
All I can think of is that there's not enough resistance with the LED brake lights.
^ This. Read about it on here before. Cruise control uses the brake lights as the "disengage" signal, IIRC.

How do these kids customize their cars with all LED lights?
They add a resistor to the circuit somehow. Sorry, someone else will have to tell you how and what resistance is required.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For once iny life, according to my wife, I throw away something when I should. Now I wish I hadn't. At least my kid could make the 9 hour trip back to school easier.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
For once iny life, according to my wife, I throw away something when I should. Now I wish I hadn't. At least my kid could make the 9 hour trip back to school easier.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using FF Mobile.
I rented a dumpster last month. There's been at least 10 things that I now need that I threw away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@bc: that's my next step on Tuesday, but he'll be long gone by then.

@Terry: I'm feelin your pain. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts