Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone with the stage 2 N/A crowers, what are you idling at?

mine is idling at around 950 but I think it would be happier at 1100 or so.

I'd like to know where others have it idling.. thanks

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
It'd be a tad bit smoother at a higher idle. Are you just wanting a smoother idle? What mounts are you using?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stock uppers but the VF-Engineering Rear Engine Mount.
car runs great but the idle is a bit rough, I was wondering where everyone else is setting their idle at for these cams. I notice on the crower site they only list rough idle on the stage 3's .
I don't mind getting the idle set higher, but I just want to make sure that is normal for those cams. just in case I may have something else wrong :(

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
If it was me, I'd leave it. Yea more duration is going to add a rougher idle. What other mods do you have? How is the drivablity? I take it you have a 20?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2.5L with 2.3 Head
crower stage 2 N/A cams
Cosi knockoff intake
OBX Headers
stealth Cold air
exedy clutch
mfactory LSD

And drivability in now awesome thanks to Tom :)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
A bigger displacement sub dues the cams a little bit. Like a radical cam for a 283 & the same cam in a 383 smooths it out. Have you done a bsd? I'd just leave the idle where it is. Its up to you. I have the crane stage 1's in a 23. I went w/ those looking for mid range, which works great.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yes. Forgot to mention that. Lightened flywheel and balance shaft deleted.

I can't really test the 0-60 at the moment because it's been raining for ever and first and second gears are pretty much useless in the rain now even with the lsd. Lots of fun though.
I can say that it is fast though. And based on my data logging and previous track videos from 80-130kph it is more than 4 seconds quicker in that range.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Sounds great I can believe the pull it has. I'd add CFM's tubular A-arms next as they'd help w/ wheel hop.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've already got springs adjustable struts and shocks and sway bars on it because it see's the track quite often, it was already faster than my 2005 Mustang GT around the track with the bone stock 2.0, but it just didn't have the power out of the corners or down the straights.
I can't wait to see what it does when I next get it there.
It is a daily driver also, which is why I might want the idle smoother.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Thats a issue w/ a DDer that you track,,,w/ mods,,, Be great if it have V-tec?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I figured I would have to make compromises,
but you know a focus as a daily driver with stock power just isn't as much fun, and fun is what its all about :)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yes I figured I would have to make compromises,
but you know a focus as a daily driver with stock power just isn't as much fun, and fun is what its all about :)
Yea, I miss the v/8 grunt. The focus for the most part is a momentum car vs a Vette. Yea a turbo will help w/ the grunt to get you out of the corners & down the straights. I set my car up for cornering to take advantage of what it has to begin with.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
not really able to contribute to this conversation but would love to see your car on a dyno, want to know what that hp/tq curve looks like. Has be much fun over the 2.0 you started with.

Im sure Tom can give you another tune with the rpm raised, you can try it out and see if it helps or you notice much of a difference

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I don't have any reason to dyno it because that's just a number that I couldn't care less about, however here is one of the old logs just showing RPM, A/F and throttle position and this was my 2000 to 6500 rpm pull in 3rd gear in the rain so about 50 to 130 ish km/h and its pretty linear all the way up until I ran out of road :)

Attachments

·
FF Affiliate
31,102 Posts
There is no "set" place for the idle , the idle can be set to anything you want , if you want to try a higher idle just put that in with the next log and I will raise it for you

Tom

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Tom, I was just trying to find out where other People with the same cams usually idle it at.

the car runs Awesome now by the way! I am very happy with all your tuning work and additional help you have given me :)

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Well I don't have any reason to dyno it because that's just a number that I couldn't care less about, however here is one of the old logs just showing RPM, A/F and throttle position and this was my 2000 to 6500 rpm pull in 3rd gear in the rain so about 50 to 130 ish km/h and its pretty linear all the way up until I ran out of road :)
Well I meant so i could compare it to how a similar modded 2.0 or 2.3 would stack up against the 2.5. That swap is not something that is done everyday. Would be good inspiration for us 2.0 people contemplating swapping to a 2.3 or 2.5 [:)]

Of course, if you dont have one and arent interested in getting one, that is fine with me... mostly just curious here [:)]

·
FF Affiliate
31,102 Posts
That would be a great idea , I have built a few 2.5 and sold them and tuned and tuned a bunch of them I didnt build like yours and none can I get to go to the dyno

Tom

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I have a Friend that is also very interested in finding out too, and his brother works at a car performance place that has a set number of dyno hours each month.
he mentioned if I was interested he would see if I can get in there for a few pulls :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts