Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing crower stage one cams in my Focus and I've run into a bit of a problem. All of my valve clearance reads are to low. All readings were in spec with the factory cams. Six of the eight intake valves have 0 clearance. I don't think Ford makes small enough tappets to bring the clearance into spec.. These cams should be a simple drop in since crower says they have a factory 1.425" base circle. Has anyone run into this problem?

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
i have stage 1's and just had right under spec clearence on two or the lobes, last i checked ford does have the buckets for you, best of luck. (you could always be like some people and grind away. lol)

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Toptech said:
I am installing crower stage one cams in my Focus and I've run into a bit of a problem. All of my valve clearance reads are to low. All readings were in spec with the factory cams. Six of the eight intake valves have 0 clearance. I don't think Ford makes small enough tappets to bring the clearance into spec.. These cams should be a simple drop in since crower says they have a factory 1.425" base circle. Has anyone run into this problem?
They make them, folks with crower stage 3's have made clearance with ford shims so you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, Ford doesn't make a tappet small enough for one of the lobes, I would only have .002" clearance. Besides, I'm not spending another $100 on tappets when Crower says the base circle is the same as factory; IT'S NOT! I measured my factory cam and the base circle is 1.420". The Crower is 1.429", causing .004 - .005" less valve clearance. I took it back were I bought it and checked another Crower and it was the same. I checked a Crane cam and it has a base circle of 1.420", the same as the stock cam. I installed it and all valve clearances are perfect! Anyone out there that has "dropped in" a Crower cam without checking valve clearance many want to pull the valve cover and check them. Intake clearance (Ford Spec) is .004 - .007" (.11 - .18 mm) Exhaust is .010 - .013" (.27 - .34 mm).

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Interesting, there are like 5k cars with crower cams and no problems from what I have heard.

if yours are that far off then you will have to have a machine shop make you some.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Check your e-mail focaltech i sent you those turbo pics and info i had. that we were disscussing

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
other mods, be really impressive to gain 30-40whp from just cams

·
Registered
697 Posts
Kicknzx3 said:
other mods, be really impressive to gain 30-40whp from just cams
its be a gift from christ to get that for 300$.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts