Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody found a creative/better looking way to put on the front license plate? I'm not sure I want the rattle of putting it in the windshield, but I don't really want to drill the holes in my bumper... I'm moving back to MN in a month and know they've got that stupid law there. [?|] I really prefer the look with nothing there, so I'm not too pumped about drilling holes in my nice SVT bumper.

Any recommendations? Pics would be great....

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I have my "euro plate". Not sure if its totally legal, dont know why it wouldnt be, all the front needs is the numbers showing. Just bent the top and bottom down and zip tied on and no more ugly bracket and hopefully no more tickets.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that's the unique stuff I was looking for. Noticed if your engine runs at all hotter with the reduced airflow?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
brawls43 said:
Now that's the unique stuff I was looking for. Noticed if your engine runs at all hotter with the reduced airflow?
thanks man, no that little bit wont affect the underhood temp at all. It took me like 10 min to do. I took the lower grill out, bent the top and bottom of the license plate down (would have cut it but like i said, still not sure if its 100% legal) and then zip tied to the grill.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
yeah i know ohio is gay about those laws i used to get pulled over all the time for not having mine on. that is a unique and great idea SVT_BMXer [thumb]

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
that's an awesome, unique Idea...
It's border-line legal...

General law is Nothing can be done, or modified to the license plate to obscure the numbers visibility. This involves spraying it, covering it with tinted shields, and cutting it. It doesn't follow this ruling so I'd say it's Alright, unless a peace officer tells you otherwise.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Another alternative, is the front lic brackets that mount with long tabs underneath the bunper rather than screwing into the front. If you look in Pep boys, or maybe Wal-Mart they should carry them. With a little creative tinkering you may not have to drill any hole at all, just rig up with a plate and bolts. If you don't see what I mean, Ill be happy to draw something up for you.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The way BMXer put his plate on is as far as i know still illegal cause the whole plate isn't showing. They might not give you much trouble for it since the front plate isn't as important as the back but if the cop is in one of those moods he can probably get you for that.

My sister's boyfriend got pulled over not to recently cause he had one of those chromish plate covers (kinda like dealer covers) which covered part of the area where it says "Garden State" and the cop said that those are illegal he didn't get ticketed for it but the cop had said that he could've. But then again cops where i live are pretty much bored all the time and they always go after young males in "nice" or newer cars.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I second that S2...

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Heres mine, its done with 2$ worth of suction cups from Home Depot, the OG car part resource for rednecks!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Fo sheezy! lol!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I dig both those methods, but unfortunately I think the sweeter of the two, the bumper mounted one, is still illegal, because you cant see all of the plate like they want. There was a big deal about it here in Houston a while back, where people were getting tickets because Texas was covered even slightly.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
^Had that here too, thats why I mounted mine up like that. At first it was at the bottom corner, but moved it up for visibilitys sake.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
WE have the law here, but no plate for over a year..no ticket yet ( watch I"ll get one tomorrow )

·
Registered
46 Posts
In Illinois none of those methods would be legal. The plate must be secured to the vehicle with 2 screws/bolts to be legal.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I like both ideas. I may just repair the holes in my bumper and remount it. The dealer put the holes in it already.

Tim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts