Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so just recently, i noticed a sound coming from my svt that i haven't heard before. and i found the culprit, the clutch pedal makes a creaky spring type noise every time i lift my foot for a gear shift. i really hope it doesn't come down to me having to buy a clutch pedal assembly if i dont have to, so any advice or help in this matter would be cool. thanks [?]

·
Registered
400 Posts
I noticed the EXACT same noise from my fofo when i bought her, i hear it sometimes i don't others i haven't ever really worried about it too much, for one, its a spring, its replacable. for 2 i have been driving my car for almost 20,000 miles now and had not a single problem with the clutch except the master cylinder. So i firmly believe you have nothing to worry about but keep an eye on this post as i will, someone may get on here and tell the two us otherwise haha

Andrew

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds good to me man, i know with my brothers 89 VW Rabbit had this creak, and he ended up breaking his clutch pedal right off, not sure if it's related, but you also gotta remember, it is a VW. so thats why i asked. to see if im gunna have a "problem" whyle driving, cuz the last thing im gunna do is powershift the svt just to get home. #*@& that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same sound from mine a few months ago. I lucked out, as it was only the clutch safety switch. The plastic lever broke and was bending the spring inside causing a creak. Take a look....it's a cheap fix costing only like $35-40 bucks for a new one.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i checked it out last night, and it definetly a spring creak, and it looks to be coming from where the clutch lever connects to the pedal. then from the pedal it goes into the fire wall, gunna have to call up a ford dealer to get a picture of the clutch assembly under the dash, ill do that tomorrow at some point, so ill get more info and post further. plus, on a slightly seperate topic, gotta pick up a snap ring for my wheel bearing that needs replacement, so ill get that and a print out of the assembly and post tomorrow.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to "Ford Focus Technical Chat".

Yep...spring noise.
I lubed the clutch pedal pivot point, and sprayed a bit of silicone on the spring to make the noise go away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same problem at about 6,000 miles, it sounded like a screen door spring stretching. When I had an oil change, I asked if the tech could lubricate it. He did, and no noise for about another 3,000 miles, then it came back. At the next oil change, I again asked that it be lubricated, and asked them to show me where they lubed it so I could do it myself next time.

Instead, the tech said that it should not be a recurring problem, and they were going to replace the whole pedal assembly. When the part came in, it took about 3 hours for the replacement. No more noise, but when a friend was driving behind me 2 weeks later, he said that my brake lights were on the whole time I was driving. I checked it out at home in my garage, and as soon as the ignition switch was turned on, the brake lights came on..

I went to the dealership the next morning, and demanded an immediate fix, since I considered this a safety issue. They took it right in and replaced the brake light switch, and since then, no problems. (You'd think they would have checked after replacing the pedal assembly to see if the brake lights were functioning properly!)

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
^that's exactly what happened to me. I had the pedal assembly replaced (for different reasons though, the clutch pedal could travel 2 or three inches left to right) shortly after I bought it and the mechanic said the brake light sensor wouldn't need to be replaced. Then my taillights were always on and my cruise control didn't work.....they replaced it and everything worked fine. But my spring has been noisy since then (about 35k miles) but I just turn the music up louder [rofl]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts