Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock '02 SVT w/87k.

I get a creaking/grating/grinding noise from the wheel area sometimes (not always) when I make a left hand turn — especially a left hand turn going up a ramp.

What could be the problem? Bearings ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've noticed the same noise -- more of a creaking/squeaking -- as I do the same thing. May be that your (our?) front sway bar bushings need to be lubricated. I've had this problem several times, I take it to "my guy," and he lubes the bushings. Helps for several months, then have to repeat. I've looked for front bushings with a zirk fitting, but does not come in my car's diameter. That way, much easier to lube...far cheaper, too.

·
Banned
12,597 Posts
It could be a number of things. I would put money on the strut bearings at the top of the front suspension. It could also be your sway bar end link which would be able to be replaced with a Moog unit that has zirk fittings on it to allow lubrication and prolong the life of them.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
It could be a number of things. I would put money on the strut bearings at the top of the front suspension. It could also be your sway bar end link which would be able to be replaced with a Moog unit that has zirk fittings on it to allow lubrication and prolong the life of them.
Ya! Agree! The upper strut bearing. Reason I can say this is your describing the exact noise I had when I put in the FR springs/struts, but with an aftermarket upper strut bearing that was defective. It was primarily from the left side. My solution was to put the Ford bearing back in (heck there almost brand new). The bearing is just that. I learned that the front strut actually turns/pivots on that bearing. So if its binding at all you will get that noise because the (I think) the spring is absorbing the rotational force.
(In my case the creak, POP,POP,POP was also a clue!).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts