Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this here in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

On our '06 sedan, the doors were creaking when the car was turned, went over a bump, or even if you just swerved back and forth. The noise sounds like two plastic pieces rubbing together, and so for a long time I assumed it was from the passenger door panel. What it actually turns out to be is the weather stripping rubbing onto the metal of the door. The door is so tight that over time, paint rubs off of the door and collects on the weather stripping. At this point, you have two painted surfaces rubbing against one another, and it creaks like crazy. This is at the very top of the door, where the sheet metal is crimped over, and it rubs on the harder flat rubber, not the softer round rubber below.

This can be solved by thoroughly cleaning all of the paint off of the rubber and lubricating with your usual silicone, but just putting silicone over top of the paint that's rubbed onto the rubber will not make the creak go away. Cleaning it and lubricating only lasts a month or two, and I am worried about this being a place for rust to start, so I think as a long term fix I will put a strip of weatherstripping or some other foam onto the metal.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts