Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was glad to see an over the counter intake valve cleaner. I tried this on my 12' Focus. The directions say to keep engine at 2500 rpm and spray built in straw cleaner into the throttle body past the mass airflow. Specifies that mass airflow could be damaged. with intake boot off car would not maintain any rpm steadily let alone get up to 2k . It would sometimes flash above or bog down. So called CRC . Tech said to try with boot in place. This would put the straw right at the mass airflow wire. So I did short bursts , Then started, For fear of hydro lock.Seems to have worked . Car runs better and blew out an huge smoke cloud when taken out on the road after the hour soak waiting period. Wasn't having any driving issues before. But figured there might have been a gradual performance decrease not perceptible. Anyone else use this product?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I used it. My buddy who owns a shop was gonna do a BG44K treatment but I could not get over there to do it so I went with the CRC. Could not find it in my area so I messaged CRC on Facebook. They sent me a free sample![like]

I sprayed it into the opening of the small vacuum connection on the top of the intake tube just before the throttle body. Ended up with a smoother idle and a little better power. I wanted to use a boroscope to see before and after pics but was not able too. First time doing something like that in 55K. I like CRC products so I thought I would give it a try. Not a fan of seafoam.

http://crcindustries.com/auto/intake-valve-cleaner.php

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Granted. Show me where in the maintenance guide any such procedure is approved or required as part of routine maintenance, and I won't argue with you again, I promise.
Without using a boroscope there's no telling if like Audi's and BMW's with direct injection whether there is carbon build up. Its not in any of their scheduled maintenance either.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Since our cars do not have egr the only buildup i could see in the intake would be caused from oil vapor residue. This sounds like it would definately take care of that problem. And because of the direct injection you wouldnt have to worry about the particles breaking off clogging up the injectors. glad too hear it worked out for you. I know i always panic when trying new things such as this especially on newer cars. Has anyone opened up the intake manifold and witnessed how these cars look in the 50xxx+ range with no cleaning.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Without using a boroscope there's no telling if like Audi's and BMW's with direct injection whether there is carbon build up. Its not in any of their scheduled maintenance either.
Hey, it's your car, pour candle wax in there, for all I care. I'm just not convinced that some cockamamie procedure involving strawsticking and spraying "short bursts" will solve much of anything...

Then again, I'm reminded of Ol' P. T. Barnum...

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Hey, it's your car, pour candle wax in there, for all I care. I'm just not convinced that some cockamamie procedure involving strawsticking and spraying "short bursts" will solve much of anything...

If you don't like it don't do it. That simple. No reason to keep posting asininities. To each there own.

Reactions: Juicedz

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The BMW solution for intake valve deposits is to have the engine inhale crushed walnut shells, physically blasting deposits off the valve surface. If this is what's needed, I really doubt exposing the valves to a minute of two of CRC spray is going to do much of anything. And if chemical treatments were really effective I doubt BMW would advocate the much-more-aggresive walnut shell route.

I have yet to see any report of intake valve deposits on a normally-aspirated Focus. For example, PratoN just turned 100k in his with no such complaint.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The BMW solution for intake valve deposits is to have the engine inhale crushed walnut shells, physically blasting deposits off the valve surface. If this is what's needed, I really doubt exposing the valves to a minute of two of CRC spray is going to do much of anything.
Indeed. Especially through a straw, in short bursts, no less.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Yeah, I wonder about the crushed walnut shells as well though I have it used on jet engines. If there is any significant buildup there's little chance a few seconds of spray will do much of anything. I'd worry about a chunk coming off and having the piston crush it against the head or valves.

I have to believe that I f buildup becomes a problem that taking the heads off will be the only viable solution and that could be kind of expensive.

Brian

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Being one of his clowns I'm sure you had a close relationship wit Ol' P.T.
CRC isn't some fly by night company.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I'm just not convinced that some cockamamie procedure involving strawsticking and spraying "short bursts" will solve much of anything...
Dan and flyboyike are both correct, a spray cleaner is virtually worthless for removing carbon on intake valves.

The BMW solution for intake valve deposits is to have the engine inhale crushed walnut shells...
Let me clarify something about carbon blasting. The walnut shells are not inhaled into the intake. The engine is shut off and largely disassembled during this process.

. I'd worry about a chunk coming off and having the piston crush it against the head or valves.
Careful attention is paid by the technician to make sure the valve is in the fully closed position before blasting the carbon off. He does this by lightly "bumping" the starter while watching the valve. This keeps the carbon from dropping into the combustion chamber. A shop vac is hooked up to the intake port with a special adapter to suction away all the carbon pieces. The reason walnut shell is used is that it is just abrasive enough to blast off carbon deposits but soft enough so as to not score the valves. Walnut shell will also burn up harmlessly in the combustion chamber if any media blasting material should migrate there.

I have to believe that if buildup becomes a problem that taking the heads off will be the only viable solution and that could be kind of expensive.
The heads normally do not have to be removed.

If anybody wants to watch the entire process, I suggest you grab a cup of coffee and a donut. This is a long painstaking process that will leave you wondering if direct injection is worth the trouble. They are recommending you have this induction service performed every 30,000 miles (for BMW) and it is very expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnMhNXXawjk

Resident Ford tech Brian recently posted a video that confirmed the Ford Ecoboost motor is showing an intake valve carbon fouling problem. Ford has not approved an induction service for these motors because they found that the turbo would fail immediately or shortly after cleaning. Ford is replacing the heads.

I labeled this pic so you can see how this works:

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
Being one of his clowns I'm sure you had a close relationship wit Ol' P.T.
CRC isn't some fly by night company.
While CRC isn't "some fly by night company" I have to agree with everyone else.

Spraying a cleaner into the engine isn't going to do anything but make a lot of smoke, just like seafoam .... to really clean anything it needs to be taken apart to be cleaned.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
...Resident Ford tech Brian recently posted a video that confirmed the Ford Ecoboost motor is showing an intake valve carbon fouling problem. ...
I'll show my ignorance here, but where is the carbon coming from? If the air entering the cylinder head is filtered (obviously) and the fuel introduced into the combustion chamber (DI) how does carbon get on the "intake side" of the intake valves? Seems to me they are flushed with only air constantly.

Or, do the intake values "hang open" for a bit on the compression stroke thus pushing some air / fuel mixture back into the intake manifold?

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I'll show my ignorance here, but where is the carbon coming from? If the air entering the cylinder head is filtered (obviously) and the fuel introduced into the combustion chamber (DI) how does carbon get on the "intake side" of the intake valves? Seems to me they are flushed with only air constantly.

Or, do the intake values "hang open" for a bit on the compression stroke thus pushing some air / fuel mixture back into the intake manifold?
EGR- Exhaust Gas Recirculation recycles combustion products puts dirty carbon laced air past the valves, plus any possible positive crankshaft ventilation vapors recirculated into the cylinder. All of which put carbon into the intake.

Valve overlap would clean the valves by washing fuel over them.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
EGR- Exhaust Gas Recirculation recycles combustion products puts dirty carbon laced air past the valves, plus any possible positive crankshaft ventilation vapors recirculated into the cylinder. All of which put carbon into the intake.

Valve overlap would clean the valves by washing fuel over them.
Ok, thanks. Didn't think of PCV system which dumps into the intake. I asked a while back, and I believe the answer was that 2.0 GDI (at least NA, can't speak of the blown 2.0) does not have an EGR system.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Ok, thanks. Didn't think of PCV system which dumps into the intake. I asked a while back, and I believe the answer was that 2.0 GDI (at least NA, can't speak of the blown 2.0) does not have an EGR system.
It's just the pcv and oil separator on both per the service manual, but this venting into the intake leading to buildup or the potential

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
ive used it plenty of times..they also make an electrical parts cleaner...i just spray onto micro fibers and wipe my throttle body or maf with the electrical cleaner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts