Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this weird problem with my stock 6 disc stereo.

Let's start with what I have. I own a 2005 focus st with a stock 6 disc in dash stereo.

The problem:
About 2 weeks ago I was driving to work with the music playing when I went over some railroad tracks. After I went over the tracks my radio turned off. At the time I did not have time to mess with it because I was running late to work. On my lunch break I took a look at it more. When I turned the car on the stereo did not come on. When I turned my lights on the stereo lit up but still did not turn on ( the clock display was blank and no sound) I decided to check to see if I blew a fuse. I had blown fuse 41 ( radio and cluster accessory ) I replaced the fuse and everything started working just fine.

Last weekend I was driving back from chicago and after the conversation in the car died i went to turn some music on and noticed the radio again was no working (same issue as before) I figured I needed to stop soon for gas I would deal with it then. When I stopped for gas I checked and sure enough Ihad blown the same fuse.

Here is where it gets odd. When I plugged in a new fuse my dash said my brights were on. This was odd seeing as I do not have drl and it was the middle of the afternoon. I walked to the front of my car and sure enough the lights were on. I checked to make sure i hadn't for some reason turn them on by mistake and they aren't yet my lights were on. And on top of that I could not turn the brighter off. The only way the lights turned off at all was when I turned the car off. I decided to forget about the radio and pull the fuse back out and just deal with not having any music because I was afrade to make things worse.

Later forwards the end of my drive it was dark and i was now driving with my lights on (the low beams) and I came to a really dark area of my drive so I switched on my hi beams. All of a sudden my stereo turns on and starts playing one of the cds I had in. As soon as I turned my brights off the radio went dead again.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Additional info that may help.
The day after I came back from Chicago i got a new cd and wanted to listen to it. I got in my car in the morning turned on my brighter (because my radio works this way) and drove to work. Half way to work the radio died and i had blown the high beams fuse in the engine compartment fuse box number 27. At this point I still had no radio fuse in (the one that had blown before ) I said screw it and felt with it later. After work I noticed that with both fuses dead only my right high beam worked but both low beams worked. When I got home I wanted my cd out of the car so I replaced the radio fuse (I did this because at the time I did not know i had blown the high beam fuse.) When i did this I had the same problem as I did on my way home from Chicago but now only my left high beam was on. The opposite one then was just working on my way home. Weird. I took out my cd then pulled the fuse out again.

I have gone the last few days without a radio which I'm not fond of but o well. Just yesterday I finaly had time to see if I had any wire issues as suggested to me by a friend. I found one wire (and green and yellow one) poked like it had been melting. I have traced the wire from the back of the fuse box to up under the steering wheel where it enters a plastic tube that I did not have time to try and get into. The wire had been melted to a few wire next to it in its run but always the same ones (I do not remember the colors of those wires)

I while taking things apart pulled out the stereo to see if it was someting wrong with it. When the stereo is pulled out completely and the radio fuse is replaced I still have my issue with the brights staying on un able to be turned off. However after replacing the high beams fuse at least both high beams work weather or not the radio fuse is plugged in.

When I removed the radio for this trouble shooting test I did notice that the melting green and yellow wire ran into the stereos harness. The wire in question had spliced into it a wire to run off and be the REM wire for an amp. I saw this and disconnected it and patched the wire as I have not had an amp and sub in this car for some time now but i did not want to take any more chances at making matters worse.

I have been going through what I have been able to get at and mending the melted wire and any wires it damaged but I have not managed to get to all of it and thus far it has only melted to the plastic of touching wires and has not in any places I've seen actually crossed anywhere. Which I am hoping is a good thing and stays that way the rest of the run of the wire.

I know this is a lot to take in and I hope it makes sence. I am just looking for suggested solutions to my problem if this wire after being mended is not the cause. Or if anyone thinks I'm wasting my time and something different is the problem or lastly if anyone has any suggestions how or why this happened both to the wire and my stereo.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It ALL makes "sense" - Prev. poor stereo installation has caused wiring issues that ALL need to be fixed B4 everything will work as designed... QED

Luck!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Cramer, I just had a Focus in the shop doing the oddist electrical things. One of my technicians found mold on the backside and inside the cluster. Just a idea to look at.

·
Registered
30 Posts
your problem is actually not crazy at all, seen this happen before in other cars.

the wire that was tapped on as the remote wire for your previous amp was not taped up when disconnected from the amp and was being grounded out somewhere in the car, probably in the trunk. this is what caused the wire it was tapped onto to get hot and melt the insulation. the wire it was tapped onto should have been the acc power wire, and if it was yellow/green than it was. but with the issues you've had with your lights as well, it's possible that the melted wire is contacting the dimmer wire somewhere in the harness, exactly where is going to be hard to figure out.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Stock sucks IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts