Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, got a question. What is the psi (or pounds of thrust) of the exhaust going into a turbo? Say on a regular Zetec 2.0 ? In other words how many pounds of pressure does it take to make a turbo work? I have an idea I would like to try out. If this works, I may be the first one here to do this. My plan will stay Black opps for now, but if it works I will share all my build info with you guys. I want to do something totally different in my build, right now I am looking for a custom fabricator to make a few things I will be needing. This will take close to a year or so to do. I will post as I go of course. I will be needing allot of help from you guys so be ready!! One more thing, I will need to make the Focus into a rear wheel drive, where can I get the info on how to do this? Thanx guys,, Tom I will be calling you soon.[ffrocks]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I just talked to Tom, and my Crazy Idea may have to wait (like say 100 years) so I will be sticking to the traditional build for now. My goal,350hp daily driver Focus, with a nitrous kit as well.It is a 2003 with a Auto tranny.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Go Lentech

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
I had an ATX , CarDeamon on here has a ATX , SES I build in NYC has ATX over 300 and a few others

Wit a turbo ATX is the way to go

Tom

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
the latter reason. it is simplicity in itself if you think about it logically. you have to dump boost every time you manually shift gears when you lift off the gas pedal. with an automatic you just keep it to the floor and the boost stays topped out in every gear. the only time you have turbo lag in an automatic is when you launch. make sense?

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
^^ makes sense from a mathematics standpoint, but i know that the mtx-75 is more efficient than the automatic in the transfer of power from the engine to the pavement which id assume with a good driver would mitigate that argument.

Im also having trouble believing that automatic is the better choice for turbo when most of the turbo'd sports cars that ive seen (wrx, sti, evo, ms3, etc) come with a manual as the default and primary options. I can understand paddle-shifting, but on a base zx3 auto, i just cant see how it would be the better performer.

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
With a ATX you spool much much quicker , can make boost why sitting still even(foot brake)

ATX has a tq converter and sense you have to have load to make boost the ATX can make boost sitting still

No loss why shifting gears

Option for things like a stall converter , trans brake , progressive boost controler that comes on by gear and or RPM and actually works etc

Yes power to the wheels is a good bit lower (15-17%) but the ATX makes up for that hands down in my opinion

The guys struggling to beat my times and commenting about the power I made should run faster have never taken into account that I had an ATX, ATX is faster

The reason the cars mentioned dont have ATX is the cost to make the ATX for production cars with boost and good HP would be very costly

Tom

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
in the long run isnt it just about as costly to just get a lentech ATX to hold 700wtq than to build a MTX to hold that much? a clutch that would hold that much torque would have to be ungodly expensive and would be near impossible to drive on the street. while with the ATX you can still drive it on the street just fine so long as you keep your foot out of the gas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts