Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well the day was goin great, got out of work early. it was raining out so i was being carefull. i was getting off the NJTP on a off ramp, the ramp is a half circle so i was goin easy then all of a sudden the guy in front of me slams on his breaks and naturally i hit the breaks too and the back end of my car broke free and i did a 360 and hit the curb then right into a street light. the damage was pretty bad, my front tire was pretty much ripped off the car and the back wheel and a arm was all bent up. it was all on the left side. it sucked really bad. thank god i didnt get hurt. i got an est. and its gonna cost 1600 for mechanical parts and 800 for the body work.

pix of the damage...

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm good, no injurys. Scary ride! My hands were shaking when I got out of the car. I was ready to drive away because It didn't feel like I hit that hard but once I got out and looked I knew I was going no where!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Man that sucks! Good to hear your alright.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its getting fixed, i love this car to much 2 get rid of it. this svt will live on.

·
Registered
173 Posts
where about in central NJ are you from. When I'm not in PA, I'm all over Edison, NJ.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i live right off the GSP Exit 135, and i go down to my dads all the time witch is exit 89 on the GSP.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Dude. [:(]
Sorry to see that, and glad you're OK.

I do have some questions:
i hit the breaks too and the back end of my car broke free
1) Did the rears lock up?
2) Did the ABS engage at all?
3) Do you have TC?
4) Do you have a tune?
5) What rear sway bar is on the car?

These cars (with ABS working properly) are pretty damned awesome in the rain.
I'm trying to see if there's something done to your car that may have caused the rear end to come around so fast.
Tires don't look to be the culprit, that's why I didn't question them.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Thats a shame, did you kill the front driver??? LOL

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i do have waynes tune, i have the stock sway bars but i bent them so im replaceing them with the eboch kit. i have TC and it was on, my tires are in good shape as you can tell, so im not really sure how it spun around like it did.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,803 Posts
damn, that is kinda brutal

·
Registered
744 Posts
$2400 to put humpty dumpty back together? Wow, I got a little dent on my wife's taurus and just the paint was going to run $1900. When I showed them the dent on the other side of the car, the quote was another $1900. I'll live with the dents.

Wow, you really whacked the left side of your car!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
That is exactly what my ZX3 looked like after I hit a curb sideways, but my airbags went off. I had $7800 in damage to mine though. I traded the car shortly after it was fixed.

Glad to see you were not hurt. I hope your car is back soon.

·
Registered
607 Posts
WD40 said:
Dude. [:(]
Sorry to see that, and glad you're OK.

I do have some questions:
i hit the breaks too and the back end of my car broke free
1) Did the rears lock up?
2) Did the ABS engage at all?
3) Do you have TC?
4) Do you have a tune?
5) What rear sway bar is on the car?

These cars (with ABS working properly) are pretty damned awesome in the rain.
I'm trying to see if there's something done to your car that may have caused the rear end to come around so fast.
Tires don't look to be the culprit, that's why I didn't question them.
he was coming out of a half circle turn from what I gather so perhaps he was on the gas and as he was in the process of braking while in a turn the rear end gave out on him. But, that would require a quick shift in body weight in order to have that happen as well as some speed.

I've snapped my rear out like a RWD in turns with throttle control/braking (note ebrake).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Moe-van1 said:
he was coming out of a half circle turn from what I gather so perhaps he was on the gas and as he was in the process of braking while in a turn the rear end gave out on him. But, that would require a quick shift in body weight in order to have that happen as well as some speed.
We have a winner...
The original poster experienced Lift-Throttle Oversteer. Nothing to do with the ABS, TC or rear sway bar size and everything to do with managing weight and weight transfer.

Lift-off oversteer (also known as trailing-throttle oversteer, lift-throttle oversteer, or drop-throttle oversteer) is a form of oversteer in an automobile that occurs when the vehicle's weight shifts from the rear to the front too quickly due to throttle release while cornering. Specifically, the reduction of weight on the rear tires decreases their surface area on the road surface.

·
Registered
607 Posts
hehe.. I was about to properly term my post up.. but, you've taken care of that..

Lift off over-steer can be very fun when used correctly and dangerous when your not ready for it

1 - 20 of 39 Posts