Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I've had my Black billet shorty antenna for less than a year i guess. I started to notice some sun fading a while back.. but yesterday I looked at it, and the damn thing is so faded all the way around it looks BRONZE!! Maybe if I had some bronze Rotas on my car it might look cool..lol

Does this happen to all the billet antennas, specifically the black ones? Is there anything I can do?

I could paint it, but for $15-20 i'd probably just buy a new one..lol

I've never seen anyone complain about this before, so I'm just curious.

Thanks,
mario

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
I watched it happen to mine as well. You just gotta go down to Wally World and grad yourself a can of black spray paint and do it up once in a while. The sun gets brutal up here in the summer, mine didnt last too long either.

BTW - I noticed I had some crappy reception with mine and just made one outta my stock antenna...way better reception and I never have to paint it, lol.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya know, i thought about the stock shorty idea... but i liked the metal look of the billet... and i might paint it, even tho it wont looks the same as the machined metal finish. I was just curious if others had that problem, because like i said, I havent even had mine a year, i expected a LITTLE more life out of it..lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
I see these on Ebay all the time, are they worth a damn to get one? I hate the "whip-like" antenna on my stock one, but how in the world do you remove it?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to change the antenna, it simply unscrews..to remove the mounting pod for the antenna you have to remove the interior light fixture and unscrew it through there.

I love the billet antenna, the style, the look...i just really didnt expect to fade that fast.. like i said i noticed a lil fading a while ago, and now it looks bronze its completely sun faded. I'll probly just paint it, or maybe get a silver one or red one.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I ordered the plastic shorty didn't know it was going to be so short though but I wnt the billet one so will be changing soon what brand are you guys using

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the Focus Central antenna. Im not sure what other brands are floating around

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
poisonivory said:
......I'll probly just paint it, or maybe get a silver one or red one.
haha, then your red one will fade to pink [limp]

fairy

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
..:: sleestak ::.. said:
haha, then your red one will fade to pink [limp]

fairy
HAHA EASY BUDDY!! u may be a joll green giant but so am i, dont make me kick ur ass..lol

nah i was just giving a for instance.. and i think most billet red thing looks pinkish anyway.. hence the reason i went black [thumb]

·
Registered
514 Posts
I got one for free from a member that was selling his car and it was painted black. When the paint started to peel, I just used some brake cleaner to take the paint off and now it looks like a billet shorty. I kind of like it. I guess another option would be to have it powder coated, if you don't want to paint it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a white zx3 and am not sure if i should go with the polished one or the black one. Will the polished one look crappy in a year too?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do the DIY shorty antenna. I just did it earlier today. It is incredibly easy to do. Everything already "goes" and it won't fade either. On top of that it was free. How sweet is that deal?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts