Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a part number for those two paper thin friction/diamond washers that go on both sides of the crankshaft sprocket?

I've been advised to get new ones for my rebuild and ford claims they can't find what i'm talking about.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Never mind, a guy at another ford dealership managed to find the part in his database. For anyone else who may need this part the part# is (look at post bellow)

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
If it's the one that goes on the outside of the crank pulley

Does anyone have a part number for those two paper thin friction/diamond washers that go on both sides of the crankshaft sprocket?

I've been advised to get new ones for my rebuild and ford claims they can't find what i'm talking about.
Should only be one, & a lot thicker too!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm really? That's the same thing the guy at ford told me, but the service manually clearly indicates that there is one on each side of the crank timing gear.

Now that makes me wonder if he gave me the wrong part number. I don't need that big thick washer that gets pressed against the pulley by the main crank bolt, what I need are those two silver, paper-thin rings that are on the sides of the crankshaft timing gear.

They look like the ones shown bellow

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I was thinking of the crank pulley, my bad,sorry! I look that up on alldata, or a factory manual, or cliltons, or another book that deal w/ Dura-tec/ MZR motor's. It a stock build or you moddin it= piston's/rod's/cam's, if so I'm interested in what rod's/piston's you use.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know, my experience today just reconfirmed my belief that ford dealerships suck. During the time I have spent rebuilding a 2.3L Duratec, there have been various maintenance items that I have needed to replace such as oil pump, main bearings, friction washers, main rear oil seal, and the main bolts just to name a few, and every single time I called a ford dealership in my area neither they nor any of the ford dealerships in the city of Charlotte NC would have the parts that I needed and would tell me that they would have to be ordered straight out of Michigan.

Luckily, because of my knowledge that the Mazda MZR engine shares many of the same components, I thought to give the one and only Mazda dealer in Charlotte a call... and wouldn't you know it, they have put Ford to shame every single time. I ended up getting all the parts mentioned above except for the main bolts (since I went with ARP), and the rear oil seal (which I got from Oriely's) from the Mazda dealer. I also believe that Mazda may use an oil pump that is similar to the high volume pump made by Cosworth, since the price was almost the same as the Cosworth offering. As for the main bearings, the MZR has the same clearances as the Duratec for the mains; however I believe the rod bearings are different.

Lastly to answer Felix's question, yes this is a Duratec 23 that I'm rebuilding with supertech 9:1 pistons, eagle rods, and crower valve springs. I intend to go turbo and figured it was smarter to build up the 2.0L's bigger brother rather than take out the 2.0L I already have in addition to having no car to drive until all was done.

BTW - if anyone needs the part numbers for the aforementioned washers they are mazda/ford L3K911407/710600

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
^ You will find Ford use's these motor's as a plug & play now a day's. Are you going to up grade the two piece valve's? I would have to believe the clearance's would be the same, since it is a MZR motor. Most of the people from what I find use these motor's in Caterham's & 2.0 Liter version's in MX5's. Can you keep us updated on how it goes, huh? Look up Burtonpower.com too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts