Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My vacuum hose is collapsing right at the elbow causing some major idle problems. Dealer was closed yesterday and today. Any way of constructing this out of parts from Autozone/Advance/O'Reillys? Car is a 2003 2.0L Focus ZTS with 100K.

Here are some pictures for reference of the actual hose. It's the larger hose with the spring clamp on one end going into a smaller hard metal hose right below the EGR. Thanks! I'd love to get this done today on my day off. [woot]

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g47/armpittpics/focushose0001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/areala/Vacuum.jpg

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Many folks have done just that, whether from price advantage or just availability as in your case.

It'll work - it's been done B4 with no ill effects...

·
Registered
374 Posts
There is a certain size of fuel line hose (3/8"?) that is perfect for replacing PCV hose. Handles both the vacuum and the oil...plus the heat.

Regular vacuum or heater hose won't last.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the helpful information. Adam95GT, that's exactly what I was conceptualizing as a do it yourself. I decided to just go to the dealer here and get the part since I was no longer in a time crunch.

I'll update some info so hopefully someone else can use it. The new part has insulation on it!

New part #: XS4Z-6N664-BA tube

I believe my old tube was "XS4B". Price was about $21. I believe this part number replaces the other ones in older threads.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
If you build your own hose, then be sure to use hard plastic 90 degree elbows, do not try to make a 90 with fuel line or vacuum line or it will collapse making the repair worthless. You can also see if there is another way to route that hose and tie wrap it in place. It doesn't have to follow the exact same path.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you build your own hose, then be sure to use hard plastic 90 degree elbows, do not try to make a 90 with fuel line or vacuum line or it will collapse making the repair worthless. You can also see if there is another way to route that hose and tie wrap it in place. It doesn't have to follow the exact same path.
Exactly what I was thinking; there would be bend at the 90 degree once again plus I'd have to go out and find a 3/8 elbow. Much easier to get the updated part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts