Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i think this would be the right place to post if not please move it to where it should be

i tore my focus svt motor apart it had the jrsc on it for a few thousand miles then i took it off and then i had the turbo on it and popped a ringland.
the motor has 18k miles on it since rebuilt and my crank had a 1/4 inch on side to side play when i tore it apart the thrust bearing was almost gone and the crank is pretty much dont for it was thrusting outward towards the pass side of the car the crank is so bad i can estimate a 1/16 of an inch is gone i had a owm clutch on it since about 800 miles ago.. started eating crank sensors from the benginning but i shimmed it and never noticed it again... the crank and block were both in spec when assembled where did i or the system go wrong.. im worried to rebuild it (i have all forged internals waiting) becuase i think it will just do it again.... please help

·
Registered
278 Posts
wow, what happened? is that groove in the block all wear? it might be fine if the bearing shell sits in there without walking side to side.

·
Registered
278 Posts
another block is likely a good idea, I'm guessing that radius is all just ground away but that cap looks fine. I'm wondering if maybe the thrust bearing was wrong or the crank had a defect in it some such that just obliterated the thrust bearing shell. When you rebuilt it, what was the end play on the crank with the new thrust bearing?

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
New block, the block is helping the crank to walk based on the main webs, like a V-8 roller cam walk issue. Apparently your crank not running 100% dead parallel to rest of block or mains out of whack, line bore would fix that but not worth line boring that block.

Or damage/too loose at the thrust like mentioned.

No way would I be trusting that block now.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'm doubting all this.
I don't think it's possible to get 1/4" of end-play for one.
And if "everything was in spec" then this wouldn't happen.

And if things are what he says, where's the pictures?
The ones posted are normal. With the exception of the last cap, but no clue where it belongs.

I would say this is something that needs to be gone over by an AERA machinist and not a backyard wrench turner.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
Probably closer like 1/16" of wear but still dead there...................second pic shows what appears to be side wear on the thrust web, if so block is scrap..............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts