Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 SVT
Incident Occurred: 11:40 pm Sunday EST. 43 hrs ago at time of this post

Any particular things I should look for and do to get car to start?

Drove through a deep puddle on highway, probably doing about 45 - 50 mph

The engine immediately began to lose power, slow down, and it stalled completely about 8-10 seconds later.

I popped the hood and air intake and spark plug wires looked dry. I didn't have tools with me to remove the spark plugs however.

I had it towed home. I thought it would dry out by now, but it still doesn't start. I just opened the hood a few hours ago hoping that will help it dry out.

Battery is almost new and is still cranking OK, but I've cranked it so many times unsuccessfully, it is getting a little weaker than normal, and I will put a slow charger on it.

I plan to:
- Pull spark plugs and remove wires from coil. Blow out with compressed air.
- Check air filter
- Look around for miscellaneous wires that might have gotten wet and spray CRC Wire Drier and reassemble with Bulb Grease and Dielectric Grease

Anything else I ought to look for?

·
Registered
16,311 Posts
Front of motor on the motor block bell housing area where engine bolts to trans. The sensor reads off the back of the flywheel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wires to crankshaft sensor broke

I see the problem now. The wires to the sensor are all corroded. The insulation is gone down near the sensor, and they're broken in half.

It's hard to get at the sensor to get the top of the sensor off. I'm going out to give it another go.

It looks like I might have to remove the header heat shield. My heat shield doesn't seem to be attached with any bolts. There are bolts up near the top going across the engine, but they don't hold the sheet metal down. It might be the shield is just sitting over the bolts because the sheet metal wore or corroded away. I have to look closer. I could just lift it off if there is enough clearance, but I don't think there is enough clearance to just pull it out.

·
Registered
16,311 Posts
There well may be hidden bolts further down that you cannot see because you cannot look at front on engine dead on, the rad is in the way. The normal zetec is that way, dunno on SVT.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any tips on removing connector?

Any tips on removing connector?

I was able to get in there after removing the two radiator hoses, just barely get to it; but I can't find how to remove the connector. Will try again tomorrow.

Autozone didn't have the connector but I ordered it. Perhaps when I see the new one, I'll be able to see what holds it on the sensor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts