Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dad bought a 01 focus zx3 for $700 . drove it a week then it had a horrible miss fire. could unplug spark plugs 1 and 4 and engine would not sound any different. which means it was running on just cylinders 2 and 3. so i bought a coil plugs and wire. still no spark. the plug that plugs into the coil has 12 volts at center pin green/blue and black/orange wire.and no power out of the black/green wire which is also on the coil plug. so i went to the pcm disconnected the plug. went to pin #56 which is the black/green wire that is on the coil plug and tested that the wire by send 12.5 volts from the battery though it and tested 12.5v at the pcm plug on pin #56. tested crank sensor which checked out good. tested cam sensor which also check out good.

and now my dad just told me today the kid he bought the focas from had to get a new key. and that he bought a whole ignition threw ebay that cam with a key and the chip in it. i was wondering how could you test if its in some kind of security mode. just make me wounder if this would cause the ignition issue?
any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You've got a problem with the other two wires to the coil.

ONLY the center wire gets 12v. normally, the other two ground each side of the coil through the PCM to provide spark.

Getting 12v. at one of the side wires is BAD, and the first guess is that it's caused by a short between the center wire & the side that shows power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
one of the coil plug wire is ground and the other one isnt. i have nothing at the black/green wire. but there are no breaks in the wire from the coil plug to the pcm.
the pcm does not give a pulse GROUND (-) signal to the coil. just a constant GROUND signal to the black/orange wire.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You mentioned that one as constant power in the first post....

Just telling you what needs to happen when it runs, don't think you'd see anything but power at the center when it's right testing it "key on".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
with key on out of the center prong i have positive 12.5volts
with key on black with orange stripe negative/ground 12volts
with key on block with green stripe no signal positive or negative..

it all stays the same when cranking the engine over.
i dont think the pcm is giving the ground signal to the black with green stripe wire that goes to the coil.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Can't figure what you mean by "negative/ground 12 volts).

Leaving that aside, intermittent/poor connections at the pigtail connector to the coil are common, from connector to wiring & in wiring to the connector.

SO common that replacement "pigtails" with wire & connector are avail.. Might be worth a second check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Coil is new and I tested it. I do not have the negitave signal juise from pcm. The PCM is not sending the signsl. I already tested the plug to see if the wire was broke and if I test the wire at the PCM I still have no signal.

I do not have signal coming from the PCM to send to the coil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts